F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My 1st Thread - Need help with Chain & Sprokets kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st Thread - Need help with Chain & Sprokets kit

Hi guys,

Forgive my excitement and ignorance, if I display any... I'm finally a CBR F4i owner (my first bike).

Trying to do basic maintenance, one thing at a time. After doing some read ups, I feel I'll need a new chain & sprockets kit.

I am looking for longevity - so 525/530 type, all steel, possibly a wider chain, etc....Whatever I can get that's strong and will "Last". As for performance requirements, I would like to improve more pick-up and or gas milage. Not concerned with top-end performance, cuz I'll never want to get there.

What are your recommendations? There's all kinds of info on google, but I figured I'll first ask the guys who ride this bike. Thanks so much in advance!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Hey 05f4ii!

So let's see if I can beat RoadiJeff to this... There is a website, maybe you have heard of it called Gearing Commander which is useful beyond measure.

You can find out what your stock sprocket setup is, then what happens to your RPMs and Top Speed, and more helpful even, what speeds you will be going in what gears at what RPM's.

I like the last one becuase if you plan to spend any amount of time on the freeway, you can determine what RPM's your bike will be running at say 70 MPH... and if you are like me and want to save a little gas, and keep the RPM's low while cruising, you can determine which sprocket setup will help you do that.

For instance the previous owner of my bike put a pretty common -1/+2 combination on my bike and I tend to run higher RPMs at 70 because of it... and my gas mileage is way lower than what I read others are getting with the OEM setup. This combination apparently gives me better low end torque, but my impression is that I personaly would be fine with less low end torque and instead have smoother and more efficient cruising at highway speeds.

Which speaks to another topic in your post.

Originally Posted by 05f4ii
I would like to improve more pick-up and or gas milage.
Sadly this will be a choice I believe... you can have more pick up OR more gas mileage... I don't believe there will be a combo that gives you both. More pickup means higher RPM's, means burning more fuel. If you are looking for a balance, I believe that the OEM might be the best for that, but that would just be my opinion. You will find people FAR MORE knowledgable than me here. Good Luck Man!

Last edited by jmeekman; 08-28-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Just learning to spell apparently...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM

Oh shoot! Where are my manners!? Welcome to the forum 05f4ii!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want longevity, Get a DID ERV and don't do wheelies and you will be good for +30K miles.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chain longevity is mainly depended on maintenance. Keep it clean and lubed, any chain can last a long time, even the cheap ones..

I've gone with 520 chain conversion & taller gearing just to save weight and better fuel econ, 6k miles so far with no issues to report.

I use cheap 520 x-ring chain from eBay, less than $35.

Last edited by "A"; 08-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
If you want longevity, Get a DID ERV and don't do wheelies and you will be good for +30K miles.
Is that a fact! Wow... Honestly I didn't know any one chain can last that long. I would've been happy with something that would last 20K-25K. I love this bike, but chances are I'll trade in in 2 yrs or so. And if I didn't trade it then, then I would keep it and make it my track bike (down the line, when I see the track) What brand/type of Sprockets do you suggest with this? Or can it be bought as a kit? Which way should I go to get better saving$ and quality? Sorry for the questions !!!

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Oh shoot! Where are my manners!? Welcome to the forum 05f4ii!
Thanks man! I've always loved the forums. It always seems guys who are on forums are passionate about what they do, and have plenty of knowledge.

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Hey 05f4ii!
So let's see if I can beat RoadiJeff to this... There is a website, maybe you have heard of it called Gearing Commander which is useful beyond measure.

You can find out what your stock sprocket setup is, then what happens to your RPMs and Top Speed, and more helpful even, what speeds you will be going in what gears at what RPM's.

I like the last one becuase if you plan to spend any amount of time on the freeway, you can determine what RPM's your bike will be running at say 70 MPH... and if you are like me and want to save a little gas, and keep the RPM's low while cruising, you can determine which sprocket setup will help you do that.

you can have more pick up OR more gas mileage...If you are looking for a balance, I believe that the OEM might be the best for that, but that would just be my opinion. You will find people FAR MORE knowledgable than me here. Good Luck Man!
^ ^ I think I knew that, but just wanted to ask anyway (as silly as it may sound). You've helped more than you know. NOW, what's the best OEM kit I can get. And by "Best" I mean let's keep it around $150-$200 (at most). I am new to the motorcycling, and don't know much about brands, prices, etc. I've been into cars all my life, but here I feel completely clueless (even though I spend majority of my day reading up on bike stuff)

Again, THANKS everyone from the bottom of my heart. Really appreciate all your advice & help I can get...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RK and D.I.D. chains are Honda's OEM.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
RK and D.I.D. chains are Honda's OEM.
I got that part. But even RK and D.I.D chains have different models, as I am learning. Any major difference between them? How to tell which is better. Currently I have 525 D.I.D HV. I don't understand the difference between the HV VX, or VMX...and so on...

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Check out this page RK chains
you want one of the kits at the top for the 01-06 cbr600f4. I got the stock gearing kit of 16/46 with steel rear sprocket and 525 chain, they have one's with aluminum rear sprockets and with -1 on the front sprocket. If you want good mpg at highways speeds stick with the stock gearing. You can find them on amazon marketplace, I think I got mine from denniskirk for like $160. You will need a chain breaker and rivet tool to do the install, rockymountainatv has a tusk tool that is much cheaper than the motion pro one, that is the one I used.

Last edited by chambers; 09-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by chambers
Check out this page RK chains
you want one of the kits at the top for the 01-06 cbr600f4. I got the stock gearing kit of 16/46 with steel rear sprocket and 525 chain, they have one's with aluminum rear sprockets and with -1 on the front sprocket. If you want good mpg at highways speeds stick with the stock gearing. You can find them on amazon marketplace, I think I got mine from denniskirk for like $160. You will need a chain breaker and rivet tool to do the install, rockymountainatv has a tusk tool that is much cheaper than the motion pro one, that is the one I used.
Thanks! I am considering RK or DID. And I think I'm leaning towards ALL Steel sprockets (no aluminum), with stock sprockets/chain to get the best gas milage. And even though I want to get stock, I want the good ones....

Quick Reply: My 1st Thread - Need help with Chain & Sprokets kit