CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Moving Advise on Securing the bike in a UHaul (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/moving-advise-securing-bike-uhaul-152478/)

Yellow_F4i 07-28-2014 09:58 AM

Moving Advise on Securing the bike in a UHaul

I started a new job down in beautiful Charlotte, NC. I am flying back up north to Buffalo before the end of the week to pack up my remaining stuff and also plan to put the Honda in the uHaul and drive it all down over the weekend.

Couple questions.
1. Advice for how to use the tow straps with ratchets in the UHaul? I have never towed the bike so advise would be helpful. I have towed dirtbikes with a buddy's pick up but the UHaul will be different than that I think because I'm not sure if there are connecting point on the ground etc.

1a. Also do I put it in First or last? In between a mattress for comfort so a dresser doesn't slide into it? All suggestions would be great!

2. Places to ride near Charlotte and the Carolinas? I plan to make the big drive out to Deals Gap or the Dragon's tail after I get settled into the area. What else are the big spots and the local favorites?

3. Anyone else from a similar area? I'd love to meet up and learn more about the area and ride of course :)

Thanks and yes I'm excited for a longer riding season!

boredandstroked 07-28-2014 10:29 AM

I grew up in Rochester and plan on moving to Wilmington NC eventually so I know how nice of a change this will be for you. Its not very easy to strap in a u-haul, they normally only have those wooden railings to use. If they have tie down loops on the ground that would make it 100% easier but without them your options are limited.

Scott91370 07-28-2014 10:06 PM

I would start be getting a chock.
Harbor freight:
Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock

Or

Self-Locking Motorcycle Wheel Chock

Obviously the first one will give you more stability. The second is the one I use but it is on a trailer and bolted down along with straps.

If you have something that you could put around it that is soft like a mattress, I would. Fold or remove the mirrors so they don't break off.

hamlin6 07-28-2014 10:15 PM

If cash allows, I'd recommend renting a motorcycle trailer from uhaul. Ive used them before and they work great. Maybe they cut you a deal since you are already renting a truck.
The rental cost would be cheaper than repair costs is it fell over.

NewSense45 07-29-2014 06:03 AM

Like mentioned above if they have the railings on the sides then great. Most have some sort of hooks in the corners for tying items down. If so use that, pull the bike as much as you can towards the right and leave the kick stand down.

You obviously just want to prevent it from tipping and rolling. I moved mine in a trailer with no issue. I put it in first and surrounded it with a mattress and my recliner. My thought was, these couches wont move or mattress, if the bikes crazy and loosens up, it will be held up by something soft... *shrug...

Either way it didnt happen move was smooth bike stayed exactly where it needed. That was from Columbia SC to Goldsboro NC.

Charlotte is nice, you can take some good rides from there, definitely take the time to hit up Asheville! I rode to Charlotte once to visit my sister, all highway but even that wasnt bad.

Yellow_F4i 07-29-2014 01:10 PM

What do you guys think between these 2 wheel chocks? Trying to buy today so I have by Friday for my move.

Scott91370 07-29-2014 10:36 PM

I would go with the wider based one. Even of you use it later on a trailer it'll still bolt up.

sluijs01 08-08-2014 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I moved from Ohio to Louisiana. I had rented a Penske, and I lucked out that there were wooden rails running around the truck, 1 about 1' from the truck floor, and the other about 3~4' from the truck floor.

I put her against the nose of the truck, with her left side facing towards the rear of the truck so she would lean that direction. I had a whole bunch of packaging foam that I wedged between her and the nose of the truck. I then took 4 ratchet straps and cinched her up against the nose of the truck using the wooden rails that were running around the interior of the truck. Her wheels were still touching the ground but she was upright and not on the kickstand. See terrible illustration below.

Not saying this is the best way, or even a smart way, but it worked for me. If you can do a trailer behind it I'm guessing that would be the best way. I've always heard people rave about the Canyon Dancer motorcycle handlebar strap for stabilizing it, but I can't say I've ever used one.

Attachment 24270

"A" 08-08-2014 02:29 PM

Whatever you do, do not use ratchet type fastener on your handlebars/grips;
handlebars/grips are meant to be used to control the bike with human strength,
not to secure the bike during transport with 3000 lb.capacity ratchets=quick way to snap/bend handlebar.

Use ratchet at points where they are meant to support the weight of the bike, i. e.:
lower fork legs, axles, swing arm, wheels, tires..

Allow suspension to travel freely during transport.

Do not compress the suspensions during transport.

You can leave bike in gear, so even if it starts to move around, it won't be far.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/...20020559_L.jpg

thirdgenlxi 08-08-2014 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've moved several times and put my bike in the back of the truck.... I always put it towards the back of the truck, I guess just so it wasn't completely buried. Mattresses work great for something to strap it to.... use some ratchet straps and just pull it up against the mattress. Some blankets to help keep everything clean and scratch free too. Always worked great for me!

Attachment 28601

Attachment 28602

As for riding..... first thing you need to do is come and meet up with ME, and I'll give you a grand tour of some of the greatest riding roads this side of the country..... they're all right here :D I'm kinda right in the middle between Asheville and Charlotte..... give me a shout when you get settled and want to come out and ride