F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Motorcycle Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Insurance

Hey I was wondering what people have for just the health insurance part of there motorcycle insurance. I have progressive and they offer health insurance for me in an accident that is my fault and I was wondering since I know my health insurance through my job covers me on my bike if I should get this. Does anyone else have health insurance that covers them and still pay for it through there bike insurance also or do you just have your health insurance and not bother with the other.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

I thought I saw McGraw motorcycle insurance offer it in their full-coverage plans, but I am not entirely sure. I signed up for liability only for both my motorbikes. Very cheap too.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually, your employer based health insurance is going to cover you regardless of riding a motorcycle, unless it specifically states that it does not in its policies terms and conditions. Having supplemental health insurance offered by a motor-vehicle insurance company is good as a secondary insurance, but you really have to read the fine print to know what the exclusions are and what the capitation limits are.

Sometimes, health insurance that is offered along with motor-vehicle insurance will specifically state that it is secondary to any primary insurance from any other entity (whether that insurance is employer based insurance, private pay insurance, government insurance, etc.) and having the extra coverage may never come into play unless you get into an accident and your medical costs exceeds the pay limit of your primary insurance.

So, in a nutshell, if it is cheap, get it because you never know what could happen; however, on the other hand, if your current primary insurance does not specifically state that it will not cover you if you ride a motorcycle, then extra motor-vehicle health insurance is probably not needed.

I have Progressive as well and it is only liability, but it too has a $5000.00 health insurance coverage included. Almost all types of motor-vehicle insurance have this basic coverage, but it depends on what state you live in and that state insurance rules. I pay 186.00/year. Sometimes the motor-vehicle health insurance can act as primary for when an accident occurs, but again, you have to read the fine print of the policy.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM

Go with Rider The cheapest insurance.The way I see it is their is no need for full coverage b/c if I get into a accident Iam sure not goin to be found on a motorcyle again

Last edited by Jay1623; 04-20-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Agreed...full coverage is about the only way to go...liability doesn't cover anything of you...

If your bike isn't paid for then you get to finish paying for a toy that you don't have anymore, sometimes thousands of dollars that full coverage would have paid off or close to it for you and you move on with your life at that point...

I run GEICO, full coverage, though my military insurance covers me as well, and I pay $48/mo...no reason for me not to have full coverage. Before I was a Rider Coach I was only paying $65/mo...

No reason not to carry as much insurance as you can afford...it covers you and any damages you cause...example, you have liability ins of $10k...you hit a road sign...it is a single rider accident...you cause some road damage and the road sign is destroyed...now since we are talking about road damage, you are responsible for the repair of the road and sign...sign is $6k, since it is gov't, and the road is going to cost $10k for the crew to come out and repair, including the appraisal and resources...your insurance hands over your $10k from policy and YOU have to come up with the other $6k...and they WILL get their money, whether it is savings, 401k, childs college fund, garnish wages, etc...

All because someone didn't want to get enough insurance to save money...did it really save you money...nope...

Make sure you're covered...it makes life easier especially in these times

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 AM

^^^ I agree, better to be too safe than sorry.