F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

MotoBrackets fairing stay

Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 AM
mpz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MotoBrackets fairing stay

I'm looking to replace my hacked up stock fairing stay with MotoBrackets mainly because clearance issues with mc, levers, clipons and stock fairing. Not concerned much about stock fairings but I'd like to regain full lock. Even though I have made cut outs in the bracket I have nowhere near full lock with either Woodcraft or Vortex clip-ons mainly due to stock master cylinder hitting the fairing stay. There's no more I cut out so it's either new fairing stay or new mc, and the later is much more expansive.

Has anybody used piece? Any clearance issues? If track junkies want to share different solutions or can point out different products I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM

since im interested as well ill give you a bump..there is always an f4i being parted out on ebay and they typically have them as well.. no clearance issues with a stock part.. mine doesnt sound as tweaked as yours but i had to adjust my master cylinder slightly forward to avoid hitting a fairing bolt from the windscreen and get full lock...hope someone has answers for us

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
mpz

I guess I'm going to have to be the guinea pig.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i have one! i like it, if fits well and was decently priced. everyone wants way too much for their used ones. but im running stock clip ons- u dont have any problem going to full lock

Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM

I don't know about the Motobrackets fairing stays. I have looked at them, but have yet to try one. As for the clearance issues, use a Suzuki SV650 front master cylinder and lever. It has the external plastic reservoir, which you can locate out of the way. It has the same bore and plunger dimensions as the stock F4i master cylinder and is the same Nissin brand. I picked mine up cheap on ebay.

Last edited by backroad; 01-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 AM
mpz

Thanks for the idea but you'll still run into clearance issues with throttle return lines if you slide in the clip-on bars.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM

If you're using aftermarket clip ons, rotating the right clip on slightly in the clamp to where the throttle cables angle more downward will get around that problem. The cables will still lightly touch the fairing or stay, but you can get full lock.

I'm using Woodcraft clip ons. I also hacked my fairing stay for the stock MC, to the point of actually cutting it in two, taking out a 3/4" section to allow the MC to go through. I have to hold that little piece at the end of the stay in place to tighten my top mirror block off bolt. As for the levers and cables, I did get them adjusted to where the clutch lever and throttle cables lightly touch the fairing, but still get full lock and are in a comfy position. Trial and error, but keep trying, adjusting not only the angle of the levers, but also sliding them up or down on the bar.

Once I get the SV650 MC on, I will replace my fairing stay with an uncut one. I've already trial mounted the SV MC and it fits. I'm just waiting to get SS brake lines, then install the MC and new lines all at once, along with an SV 650 clutch perch and lever. That way I can buy levers for an SV650 or Katana in pairs.

Note the cut in the stay in the pic (a little hard to see I guess) and that the kill switch is farther forward where the clip on bar is rotated slightly forward for cable clearance. I do have my clip on bars slid out as wide as possible, though. I like leverage.

Last edited by backroad; 01-22-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 AM
mpz

Thanks for sharing your setup. I had Vortex clip-ons with bars slid all the way out but found it to be too far apart. When exiting the corner, my arms were extended so far out that I didn't have much movement left to push the bike away (stand it up). I forgot exact reason but there was a clearance issue and I could not slide the bars in. I'm using Woodcraft now, and after experimenting for hours the only way I'll be comfortable is with bars 1.5" in and rotated out some. This creates clearance issues and I don't think stock upper stay will do.

If anyone uses aftermarket brackets let me know your experiences. Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 AM
mpz

dbl post