F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Mods help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods help

Hey Guys,
So I picked up the 2004 cbr 600f4i I mentioned a few weeks ago and was thinking that theres 2 things that I disklike:

1. The stock indicators
2. The stock fender

I know that thers a Werks fender eliminator for #2, what are the options for #1? Also what exactly is an "undertail kit"?

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Unhappy

what do you mean by stock indicators.. like the instrument panel? if you can have the color changed from orange to whatever and put a white faceplate on it. if you're savy with a soldering iron there's a kit on ebay for like $30 shipped.

as for the undertail.. they are pretty much just a piece of plastic that fits on the underside of the subframe that is molded to look more organic with the tail fairing. It will probably have LED brake lights and turn signals also. It's been a while since i installed mine but here is a basic rundown of what it involved. Firstly, i removed the seats and tail fairing. secondly, i remember i had to cut the old fender completely off with a dremel to make room for the new one to fit. None of the holes in the new undertail lined up so i drilled 2 new ones in the stock undertail and used zipties but you can't even tell because they're super tight and on the inside. i drilled a hole in the liscense plate and bolted it directly onto the little nub in the new undertail where a bracket is supposed to be mounted. the trunk latch was a pain in the dick to deal with. i ended up wraping the wire tube around this one bar and then epoxying it into the hole on the undertail. Make sure it works before you put the tail fairing and seat on because if it doesnt' you're going to have a hard time taking the passenger seat off. I let the epoxy start to set and then i had to hold it in place until it was dry. the next major headache was the brake lights had integrated turn signals and no connectors or wiring diagrams. So basically i had the euro light design w/ 8 wires coming out of two different holes. I recommend you find the turn signals first. Although it's highly unlikely you'll cause any damage to the bike with that small of a voltage i used a voltmeter to find the grounds on the undertail before i started plugging and testing different combinations of wires. After that I cut the connectors from the OEM turnsignals and then spliced them onto the aftermarket undertail until i found out what colors did what. green on the bike is the ground and black will probably be ground on the undertail. Once you find which colors are for the turn signals the brakes are easy to do. Oh yea, and the light for the license plate is non-existant which is techinically illegal but i haven't had any problems yet becuase the running LEDs are bright as hell.

in summation the undertail "kit" i got was really just a molded piece of plastic with some LEDs and a hole for your trunk lock that fit over the OEM undertail from the battery holder back. The kit i purchased had no instructions and the holes were drilled in the wrong place so it took a little thought and creativity to make it work. Overall i'm really pleased with the results though it looks wayy better than the bulbous obnoxious stock fender. hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM

I want the turn signals gone (see pic attached)

And I am wondering if these 2 parts will do the trick, or if i need anything else:

Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator Kit Honda:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/fen...kit_honda.html
High Tech Speed Proton Light Flush Mount LED's Honda:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/tur...n_signals.html

Attached Thumbnails Mods help-bike.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 PM

so by indicators your mean the gauge cluster ? i know you can change the color but i dont know if i have seen anyone change the unit

An undertail eliminator gets rid of your license plate assembly or the Mail box . makes the bike look purdy

**edit** guess a bunch of up posted at the same time :P

Attached Thumbnails Mods help-0182eos-digital-rebel-xt19102008.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means turn signals

Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 PM

oh. turn signals. quite a few options here. pretty much any undertail kit will have turn signals built in... or you could put them in the rear sets if you have some basic wiring knowledge. i think they used to be available but i haven't seen them for aw hile. as for the front, a flush mount turn signal is pretty much universal and necessary with any bike. i have them on mine. there are also rear view mirrors with them built in.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Sorry for the confusion... yes I meant the turn signals... (front and back)

So the two parts I mentioned should get the job done then?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Yes, the two parts you have listed are going to work just fine. I have the exact same parts. Both were fairly easy to install taking approx 1-2 hours total time. The Protons (as well as most other flush mounts) require cutting your wiring harness. Just buy some connectors at your local electronics store to put the wires back together. I am very impressed with the quality of both items.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 AM

check out the hotbodies undertail not much more in cost and looks way better imo

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

mike and ikes - do you have any pictures of your bike?

I would love to see how the fender eliminator looks.

I just bought a 2006 F4i, in black and yellow, and I am researching my options for undertail kits/fender eliminators.

Also ... I really want to work on my bike, but to say that I'm not too mechanically inclined at this point is an understatement. I just never really got into fixing up bikes or cars in the past.

Do these kits come with good instructions? I've read some previous posts saying how difficult the installations were. I'd rather not be working on my bike for weeks ... I'd rather be riding. lol

thanks guys.

dan