CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   missing and white smoke (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/missing-white-smoke-126864/)

mrkarl4 06-12-2011 09:41 PM

missing and white smoke

Hi all. New to the forum and already found a ton of information from all you guys. I just got a 2002 F4I from my brother. He didn't ride it much, 300 miles in 3 years and my best friend had it before him from the showroom floor, so I've known the bike all 9 years. Got it and the fuel pump was out, got a new assembly. my bro last started it in Jan. I got it in April. the bigest problem is it's missing and 2 plugs are fouling really quick and there's white smoke. I feel as if there's something real simple I'm overlooking. already new gas through it w/injector cleaner. swapped out 2 injectors with 2 known working ones, I thought the sitting may have harmed them. What else could it be before I have the shop do a $500+ charge on me.

LasVegasHarley 06-12-2011 09:57 PM

I had the same problem after my bike sat for a year. It turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). Do search here and you will find many posts on the subject. I paid $80 for the part at the Honda dealer here in Las Vegas.

Dodgehemi7 06-12-2011 10:17 PM

I just replaced my FPR and ordered it from HEARTLAND HONDA for only 54 bucks. If it is the FPR check out that website cause they have awesome deals on OEM parts.

Ragnar1x 06-13-2011 03:30 PM

White smoke? A blown head gasket perhaps. Does the exhaust smell sweet at all? How about the plugs?

mrkarl4 06-13-2011 07:45 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm out of town for a week, but I have an FPR from the intake manifold I got a hold of. The plugs look good for the most part, one get's fouled up (carbon). Will let you guys know how it goes next week! Anymore ideas around let me know! It only has 4400 miles on it so I don't know if it would be the head gasket, it's a thought though, thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

spoolie25 06-13-2011 10:22 PM

miles dont matter. like he said before does the exh smell sweet. and what do the plugs smell like my fpr just went bad i was missing but no smoke plugs where black in 2 and 3 the others where fine...

mrkarl4 06-14-2011 07:37 AM

Ok about the miles, I can't remember if the exhaust is sweet, the smell didn't get my attention except it smelled like exhaust. My 2 and 3 plugs also are the one's fouling. We'll see next week. What visual signs can be seen if head gasket blown, anything in the cylider itself or in the exhaust manifold? Anything like that without taking the heads off?

jdraper8 06-14-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LasVegasHarley (Post 1066635)
I had the same problem after my bike sat for a year. It turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). Do search here and you will find many posts on the subject. I paid $80 for the part at the Honda dealer here in Las Vegas.

+1. def sounds like a FPR issue. mine did the exact same thing. im willing to bet that your exhaust is also wet with fuel and it is hard to start once its hot.

spoolie25 06-14-2011 07:37 PM

yea my fpr just went bad last week and 2 and 3 where not firing right just get an fpr. is there coolant lose from the rad???

mrkarl4 06-23-2011 04:27 PM

Back for Vacation (very much needed) and hopefully will get the fpr changed tonight and see if that works.