CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   MIL comes on solid - sometimes. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/mil-comes-solid-sometimes-101252/)

WarTowels 09-22-2009 05:02 PM

MIL comes on solid - sometimes.

I'm not sure when it started (it MAY have been when I jumped the battery when it was still connected, I'm not sure).

But the MIL light has been coming on at random.

I'll start the bike, it will be off. After about 15 seconds of idling, the MIL light comes on (about 50% of the time) and the revs increase. It then will stay on for the entire duration of use. No blinking ever.

Other times I'll start the bike and it will not come on at all, and 99% of the time it stays off if it made it past idle.

I have the f4i manual, but couldn't locate any information on the MIL light.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes in a vain attempt at clearing codes but it came back on.

Thoughts? (I don't have a multimeter ATM to test battery voltage. The battery only died because I had the lights on while working on wiring in my garage and it drained the bat.)

-Greg

bwayers 09-22-2009 10:22 PM

you can't clear codes on a bike, they aren't stored like in a car
they are checked continuously as the bike runs and every time it is started

i'm guessing it's your map sensor by how the revs increase when they MIL light comes on. also, your owners manual won't tell you what the number of flashes indicates, it is in the service manual

next time the code is flashing swing in at your local dealer and they'll usually tell you what your code is free of charge

also, to know the code # it's broken down in long and short blinks
long blink 1.5 seconds= 10
short blink .5 second= 1

ie, 2 long blinks followed by 3 short blinks is code 23 (not sure if there is a code 23 off the top of my head though)

Aken 09-22-2009 10:30 PM

MIL light?

bwayers 09-22-2009 10:56 PM

Malfunction Indicator Light - it's a common name used for a service engine or check engine light in a car

in this case he was refering to what we generally call the FI light

WarTowels 09-23-2009 08:30 AM

Yeah, sorry the FI light.

May have missed it from my first post- but the FI light doesn't ever blink.

I have the service manual, but its in PDF so I find it less easy to find things - searching on it doesn't work.

Is there a way to check codes on my own?

-Greg

boostlessF4i 09-23-2009 11:54 PM

mine comes on, when i hit the kill switch and leave the ignition on it'll blink to give you the code.

rd91si 09-24-2009 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by WarTowels (Post 840330)
Yeah, sorry the FI light.

May have missed it from my first post- but the FI light doesn't ever blink.

I have the service manual, but its in PDF so I find it less easy to find things - searching on it doesn't work.

Is there a way to check codes on my own?

-Greg

Under the seat on my 04 there is a plug and use a paper clip as a jumper and turn on the key and count the blinks simlar to obd car codes.

WarTowels 09-24-2009 10:13 AM

Got a pic or diagram I can look for, or even a slightly more in depth description of what I'm looking for under there?

-Towels

rd91si 09-24-2009 03:09 PM

It's a small 2 wire plug on the left of the batt not conected to anything just like my wifes 97 civic use a jumper wire or paper clip insert in the plug and turn on the key dont start, and the fi light should blink a code long blinks and short blinks count them.

Incognito 09-24-2009 04:08 PM

Section 5-6 & 5-10 in the manual.