CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Man down (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/man-down-115848/)

Krux 08-30-2010 09:33 AM

Man down

Yep just like the title. I crashed the other night. Sucks the brakes locked up when I seen a deer and it felt almost like hydro plane. It started to drift to the right the rear of the bike and threw me off before I could even blink. Here is the damage.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/100_0682.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/100_0683.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/100_0684.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/100_0686.jpg

R Dub 08-30-2010 11:25 AM

Wow man that sucks. Could have been a lot worse though. How banged up are you?

crashking 08-30-2010 12:04 PM

damn that sucks man.....thats my biggest fear on two wheels is deer

a couple of years ago i was on my yz shredding on some back roads and i almost got hit by a deer and it scared the life out of me now at night and dusk and dawn i ride so slow and passing cars prolly are thinkin WTF is this dude riding slow for

gotcbr 08-30-2010 12:45 PM

Sorry to hear that. You ok?

F4ith 08-30-2010 01:28 PM

Wow wth happened to the frame slider?!

brveagle 08-30-2010 02:19 PM

Glad to hear that you are okay, but why did you lock up the brakes?

teko1020 08-30-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by brveagle (Post 961777)

I'm guessing because he saw a deer, panicked, and grabbed alittle too much brake. Sht happens when your adrenaline is racing.

Xander F4i 08-30-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by brveagle (Post 961777)

locking either wheel up is easy enough to do on a panic stop situation...realizing it and reacting accordingly can be difficult. a front tire lock you want to release the brake and reapply if you have the chance, while a rear lock you want to keep locked up.

sucks that you wrecked man...i hope that you are okay, your ride can be fixed

looking at the damage there...how's your insurance?? if you got full coverage, there is definitely a chance it'll be totaled out.

Krux 08-30-2010 04:17 PM

I'll be fine just some cuts here and there nothing big. For insurance I have only liability at the moment so that really sucks there. Otherwise I am a handy man should be able to fix it just need some parts haha.

bluedevil3758 08-30-2010 05:48 PM

man i had a low side last week and pretty much the same damage as you except none on my rear tail, and my frame slider didnt rip out? what happened there??

Tommysf4i 08-30-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i (Post 961801)
locking either wheel up is easy enough to do on a panic stop situation...realizing it and reacting accordingly can be difficult. a front tire lock you want to release the brake and reapply if you have the chance, while a rear lock you want to keep locked up.

looking at the damage there...how's your insurance?? if you got full coverage, there is definitely a chance it'll be totaled out.

A rear tire lock-up gives you zero control of your bike, so I would disagree with you. Squeeze the front break hard a counter steer would be an option.

bluedevil3758 08-30-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tommysf4i (Post 961865)
A rear tire lock-up gives you zero control of your bike, so I would disagree with you. Squeeze the front break hard a counter steer would be an option.

you can ride out a locked rear, no steering but you can ride it out, where if you let off your looking at a high side

Tommysf4i 08-31-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bluedevil3758 (Post 961872)
you can ride out a locked rear, no steering but you can ride it out, where if you let off your looking at a high side

A locked rear tire will give you no traction and the feel of the bike is out of control, so at a relative "low speed", release rear brake and gain traction, then steer yourself to safety.

kx_rider53 08-31-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tommysf4i (Post 962095)
A locked rear tire will give you no traction and the feel of the bike is out of control, so at a relative "low speed", release rear brake and gain traction, then steer yourself to safety.

Yes but any moderate or high speed you want to keep it locked.

Zero1080 08-31-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i (Post 961801)

Totaled? Are you serious? You can't be. He's got some plastic scrapes, and all he'll have to replace is his windscreen and rear brake.

Glad you're OK, it's ZERO fun when wreck doing ANYTHING.

mad dog tannen 09-01-2010 12:29 AM

I ran over a cat a couple months ago doing about 65. It felt like I ran over a speed bump. Good times!

Glad to hear you are ok!

Every body get to the track or practice quick stops in a parking lot or something. Do it enough times so that it becomes muscle memory retention and you no longer need to think to do it. Just my .02

chanson79 09-01-2010 03:34 AM

always hate to hear of bikes gettn laid down bro, but atleast your good, and damage is minimal, except for the frame sslider, the bent rear brake pedal, the mirror, its not to awful bad bro, again, sorry to hear that you laid it down...

Kuroshio 09-01-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Krux (Post 961722)
Yep just like the title. I crashed the other night. Sucks the brakes locked up when I seen a deer and it felt almost like hydro plane. It started to drift to the right the rear of the bike and threw me off before I could even blink. Here is the damage.

Good to hear you came out ok. Looks like some bondo, elbow grease and paint will get her looking ok

Originally Posted by bluedevil3758 (Post 961872)

Won't go into a full on braking discussion (esp since there are some in the skills sections) The MSF teaches riding out a locked rear tire because that is the easiest thing for a new rider to do. But what causes a highside is the rear tire regaining traction while out of line with the front tire. Leaving the rear tire locked is not always an option though. You may need steering to avoid a wreck and if you try to steer while the rear is locked you will highside

You can release a locked rear at any speed so long as the rear is still in line with the front. The further out of line with the front, the harder the 'snap' and the higher the chance of a high side.

brveagle 09-01-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by kx_rider53 (Post 962170)
Yes but any moderate or high speed you want to keep it locked.

HAHA!

Too funny. Quit talking like you know something.

teko1020 09-01-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 962210)
Totaled? Are you serious? You can't be. He's got some plastic scrapes, and all he'll have to replace is his windscreen and rear brake.

I wouldnt be suprised if it was totaled. A F4i isnt a million dollar bike. Retail, that's not what the bike is worth to an insurance company, on a F4i is low and OEM parts arent cheap. Brand new bikes end up with a salvage title for similar damage.

If an agent looked at that he's going to see that the front fairing, windshield, mirrors, front brake, front master cylinder, bar end, side fairing, back brake, exhaust, and tail fairing all need to be replaced right off the bat. Then he's going to cut you a check for like 1k and give it a nice little title called salvage.

Bun_Bo_Hue 09-01-2010 04:41 PM

glad you ok though

Grove600 09-01-2010 07:32 PM

dude your lucky you didnt get any road rash. and your lucky to be talking. wrecks are nasty.... i was going around a turn and hit loose gravel.... bike hit a telephone pole and i was a few inches from it myself. bikes fixable, but bodys arent that easy to fix, in the ER for 3 hours cleaning my road rash up... it sucks, but im glad your ok. get the deer back at hunting season :)