F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowsided F4i

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowsided F4i

Lowsided the bike today, too much lean on cold tires. Anything, I should be looking for before taking it out for another ride? I haven't seen any leaks, was able to ride it home and it started right up after going down. Just wanna make sure I don't do more damage by getting right back on it.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM

well, first of all you should be thankful that you are OK hopefully you had full gear on.
from the damage that i can see (just fairing scratches and no broken tabs or bolts), i wouldn't think there is anything big you should be worried about .
it wouldnt hurt to take that side fairing off and take a closer at everything on that side like stator cover, cooling pump, kickstand switch, exhaust header, radiator mounts,... etc.
you might also wanna check the fork seals, front braking caliper and disk for misalignment, push your bike slowly and see if the front wheel bearings dont make any noise, steering stem bearings and alignment for any strange feeling or noise, also check clutch lever for any bends or weird feel, ... etc
just take a close look at everything on that side.
better be safe than sorry, if for nothing at all, your will learn something more about your bike

when i bought my 2000 CBR 600F4 i took the side fairings off and just took a closer look at everything (engine, cooling, oil, exhaust, wiring, fuel tank/pump, chain, trans,) so that if something goes wrong in the future i know how it used to be or how its supposed to be and also fix any stupid **** PO might have done or changed

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Raoufhakam on this. Bikes are replaceable but your life is not. Glad to assume you came out on the good end of things. Don't let this incident discourage you from riding. I am 2 weeks new into riding and I've dropped by bike yesterday doing a slow turn in the Apartment complex parking lot.....lucky enough tho I am running old scratched up fairings for this reason.

Check that left side well and if you do not have the service manual I recommend either buying it or searching on the forums for the PDF. It's worth it's weight in gold. That book has been my best friend for almost a month now.

Moral of the story you walked away a little wiser and still have a very sweet looking bike.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 PM

@Taw1985 is right, dont let this incident discourage you, specially if you're new into riding, i dropped my bike making a U-turn in a parking lot (broke left mirror, bent clutch lever, scratched fairing) but all good.
and my advice for you Sabis383 and Taw1985 both, if ur kinda new to riding, dont buy new fairing now, cause chances are you might scratch them again (not offending, but we all go through learning), so better beat up those old fairing before investing some $500 on shiny new ones
a good and cheap investment is a pair of frame sliders (around $30 on eBay)
when i bought my bike, i installed frame sliders and rode it without fairings for couple of months (FYI: CBR 600 F4i/F4/RR/F3 dont look ugly without fairing, the actually look nice half naked )

Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Raoufhakam
@Taw1985 is right, dont let this incident discourage you, specially if you're new into riding, i dropped my bike making a U-turn in a parking lot (broke left mirror, bent clutch lever, scratched fairing) but all good.
and my advice for you Sabis383 and Taw1985 both, if ur kinda new to riding, dont buy new fairing now, cause chances are you might scratch them again (not offending, but we all go through learning), so better beat up those old fairing before investing some $500 on shiny new ones
a good and cheap investment is a pair of frame sliders (around $30 on eBay)
when i bought my bike, i installed frame sliders and rode it without fairings for couple of months (FYI: CBR 600 F4i/F4/RR/F3 dont look ugly without fairing, the actually look nice half naked )
Been riding since this time last year. You know what they say, once you get comfortable that's when bad things happen. The pisser is that I had just changed from the OEM yellow and black to the white. But hey, whenever you start putting new things one something is bound to happen. Definitely wish I had sprung for the frame sliders. Live and learn though. Have a lot more respect for my bike now that I've actually experienced going down at speed.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM

good to know you still have that good spirit for riding after your first -somewhat major- accident, and +1 for having respect for your machine.
again, most important thing is that you walked out of it SAFE, luckily you didnt get thrown into facing traffic, ditch or god knows what could been there on ur way down.

anyway, keep up the good spirit and ride safe buddy

Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
July 2008 ROTM

How fast did you crash at? If you just laid it down relatively slowly (falling over mid-lean is a pretty mild crash if it just lands and slides). Chances are you just made it ugly, and possibly bent something small like your clutch lever or rear set.

I've done minor lowsides like this a couple times, and it hurts your ego more than anything. I'm thinking your bike is fine.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
How fast did you crash at? If you just laid it down relatively slowly (falling over mid-lean is a pretty mild crash if it just lands and slides). Chances are you just made it ugly, and possibly bent something small like your clutch lever or rear set.

I've done minor lowsides like this a couple times, and it hurts your ego more than anything. I'm thinking your bike is fine.
45-50, I just got a bit of rash on my knee and a bruised hip. Luckily the "shoulder' was a nice big grassy burm which stopped me and the bike rather gently.

Unfortunately today I took her back out for a spin and she shut off mid ride. Wouldn't start back up. No attempt to crank with the clutch pulled in. Fuel pump does prime. However, if I put it in neutral to bypass the clutch switch the entire cluster shuts off and there's a fast clicking as if the batter was dead on a tractor. Only other thing I noticed was that the when flipping the highbeam on the light comes on but the highbeam indicator does not. Leading me to believe that I muffed a connection somewhere that is causing the bike thing the headlight harness is not connected to the chasis harness. Will update with more information when i find out what's going on the bike.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Glad to hear your ok... Looks like a light lowside... Keep us posted as im interested to see what mucked up on the electrical

Quick Reply: Lowsided F4i