F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowsided in the canyons.. Damage Assessment Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowsided in the canyons.. Damage Assessment Questions!!

So I was doing some weekend twisties in the canyon with my buddy and came to a downhill S-Curve. He took the inside turn, I took the outside turn and my rear tire caught a lot of gravel on the side of the road (I should've looked up if this canyon had been swept.... ) and my rear tire gave out and the bike low sided into the canyon ditch, thankfully it wasn't a canyon cliff edge. My gear is torn up pretty good, time to get a new jacket and gloves, my helmet never touched the ground, I did more of a breaststroke on the asphalt.

My bike didn't turn out too bad.. It's the first time I've ever dropped it so I was pretty devastated as I saw it laying on its side in a muddy ditch, but after thinking back on the accident I feel very lucky that I came out with minor scrapes and bruises (Wear your gear people), and minimal (I keep telling myself this) damage to the bike. When I picked it up and tried to ride it, it kept stalling out, so I thought my bike was seriously effed.. My buddy was long gone because he didn't realize I fell and didn't come back around until 20 minutes later, and we had no service in the canyons, and he rides a chopped ZX-9 with a single seat.. so there was no riding back together (no homo). I finally found out it was just a really loose clutch cable.

So my stator cover is scraped up, both left front and rear turn signals are scraped and bent, my left mirror broke off. My fairings are pretty scraped up, the lower left fairing is scraped and road rashed and has a cracked off piece below where the VIN number is. My rear cowl is scraped, and my front fairing above the left headlight is scraped.

I'm thinking of just sanding my stator cover and powder coating it black to make it look a little better instead of buying a new one, I'm looking at a new set of mirrors on eBay, and I plan on finally upgrading to some flushmounts.

As far as the fairings..

I found an EXACT OEM left fairing that is my exact same paint scheme on eBay that has some scratches for about $220 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...#ht_3654wt_939

Should I buy that? Or is there a cheaper (not too difficult) solution to bringing it back? Any tips on anything that was damaged would be appreciated..

Thanks a lot guys!

Name:  IMAGE_203.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMAGE_204.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  IMAGE_205.jpg
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  IMAGE_207.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  IMAGE_208.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  IMAGE_209.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMAGE_210.jpg
Size:  131.2 KB

Thanks

Last edited by FoCoCBR; 05-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I Can't Sell Because I'm Hardheaded
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look to bad... just leave it... battle scares... bike is super clean though!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look like you can get away with sanding / priming / painting the scratches out and replacing / repairing the decals. Might be more work than you want to put in tho.

Get the gear replaced and nice job coming out ok

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

your pretty lucky man!! i was up in the canyons back in cali last year and did some real damage, gas tank and all check it out: https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/repainting-my-f4i-107583/

As for the fairing on ebay, its not a bad idea but whatever you do INVEST in frame sliders, if you would of had some on you could of saved that fairing.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Get a quality set of frame sliders at that too. My cheapo ebays bent like a **** when I lowsided and didn't help worth a heap... on top of that made it difficult as heck to remove the bolt because of the bend

Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not nearly as bad as I had expected.
I guess it's up to you what you want to do with it. Leave it or buy the new piece/pieces.
It would probably be just as expensive (and much more work) to try and repair that because of buying the supplies/decals + sanding and painting.

Glad you're ok, though. That's the important part. Gear +1.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Glad to hear you're okay and you're bike is still rideable.

Why's your camera's white balance so far off?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Looks like cell phone shots... possibly nokia? lol my nokia used to have white balance issues

Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the input guys, and yea I might just leave the fairings how it is and get new signals, mirrors, and paint the stator cover. I'll live.. Maybe someday down the road I'll do a solid paint color paint job, we'll see. @mk2 I'm definitely putting DECENT frame sliders in my next parts order. As far as the white balance on the camera goes.. it's actually off of my cellphone, so that may explain why it's so off hahah.
@manny Wow, after looking at your canyon aftermath I feel extremely lucky with my bike. I'm glad everything worked out for you though man.

I now have a good excuse to get some alpinestars gear now

Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 AM

Here's my f4 after my buddy wrecked it on our last mountain run... don't let your friend borrow your bike. Lesson learned.

Name:  IMG_8865.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  173.5 KB

so yeah ... your lucky! :P

Quick Reply: Lowsided in the canyons.. Damage Assessment Questions!!