F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowered my F4i and I love it

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowered my F4i and I love it

Not really sure exatly but its on the higher hole so its about 1-2 inches on the dogbone and then i lowered the triple tree about 1.5 inches.. Ill try and get a picture when i get off

Joe

Old 09-27-2006, 05:07 PM

DUDE GO MESURE THAT CRAP.

I think I know why you think it turns better. If you dropped the front further than the rear you changed the geometry. Messing with the geometry without knowing what you did is a no-no. You could be setting yourself up for a nasty tankslapper.

ORIGINAL: JaSoN

real world confidence is more important that theoretical or on track ground clearance.
Yes, but I am not talking about "theoretical" anything. I am talking about real world. By lowering it, you just ate up a large bit of the safety margin of your bike. Again, fine for commuting, but not for cornering. What you just did was make your performance bike into a commuter with a fast motor. If that is what you want, then so be it, but don't try to convince people that a lowered bike handles as well as a stock bike.

If you never come close to grounding hard parts, then lowering won't effect your riding. If you like to burn backroads or track your bike it will. If you are like me and like to be able to ride 7/10ths on backroads you WANT that last 3/10ths for safety sake. I don't want to have to tighten my line to get around a hazard only to find out that tightening my line puts my midpipe on the deck and my tires in the air.

I stand by my original statement. If you have to lower the bike, you are on the wrong bike.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM

I'm also a new rider, friend has a lowered bike and after riding for one year, he wants to raise it up.

He said it's a good if you feel uncomfortable with the height for a beginner, but after a while, like him, you'll want to raise it back up.

I guess it's good for beginners to feel "comfortable" with, then when they get better, raise it up.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 AM

I dunno. I am 5' 3" and love mine at stock height. A little more of a pain when I try to back up, but I just stand up next to the bike and do it.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to jump into a thread with another question, but I didn't want to waste starting another thread for a simple question.

When you look up the seat height for the f4i, it usually says something like "31.9 inches at the lowest setting".

Does this mean that the seat height is adjustable to a certain extent? If so, how do I go about doing so? I;ve searched in the manual and online but couldn't find anything. I'm not talking about using lowering links or anything like that.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:44 PM

I believe they are talking about with the preload at the lowest setting and a rider in the saddle.

The F4i saddle itself is not adjustable.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered Users

As with all things, whether you choose to lower your bike is subject to personal interpretation. You can argue back and forth about the geometry, how it performs on the track, and whatever else. I've been riding for 11 years and considered average height (5'6") for females, so I'm no newbie and I am as comfortable on my bike now (lowered) as I was when it was stock height. It doesn't mean I'm on the wrong bike, but that I chose to lower it and my personal experience is that the bike handles better. To say otherwise is a pretty broad assumption/statement. If at some point in time you want to raise the bike back up, that's your prerogative, but base your decision on your experience/comfort, not those of others or geometrical theories.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:41 PM

strangly enough there is a difference between theory and actual physics
i'm not saying it handles worse and in fact if you keep the stock proportions it should handle pretty much the same but I can assure you nothing is better about it at least not with stock proportions. Ask any suspension guru and they will tell you the same. Now if you lower the front more than the rear it will turn in faster but will be more prone to tucking the front

theory implies it hasn't been tested and proven, this has

so you can call it a geometrical theory if you want but in reality the correct word would be FACT

now i'm not saying you shouldn't have lowered your bike cause its none of my business and if you like it that way go for it, as a commuter it probably won't be an issue at all for most people

Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM

i'm 5'-9" and have no problems. in fact i'm gonna shim the rear about 5mm for quicker steering

Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM

here are the pics: https://cbrforum.com/m_169181/mpage_.../tm.htm#169186

And i just measured myself and i am 5'6 so i think if i was even 5'8 i would be straight. Ive tried wearing boots (tims) but found it really hard to get my foot in there with such a clunky shoe on... plus i dont wanna be wearing my tims from 9th grade while im riding.. haha.. but yeah go ahead and check the pics out and you can see the difference..

Quick Reply: Lowered my F4i and I love it