F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lowered the front

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:01 PM
Default RE: lowered the front

Provided it's torqued correctly. No worries. Even under hard braking, the front end won't slam down on you {evil grin, playing to your paranoia}.

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:53 PM

that's the thing...it's NOT torqued down correctly.
just give it a little bit more turn.

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivehp
the bike is underspung for anyone over a buck 75 with gear. thats why i lowered the front slightly. haven't ridden it yet with the front suspension changes but i'm hopin she steers a tad quicker with no headshake
question for you 95hp, im slightly familiar with this situation so bare with me.
if you lower the front wouldnt you bottom out quicker if you had to brake hard? or did you stiffen the front too so that wont happen?

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:33 PM

thats the deal. i don't have a front stand or any trees close to where i live to be able to hoist the front end up so i can fit my larger torque wrench on the lower pinch bolts. i figured the 25 ft\lbs i got to with the smaller wrench would be sufficient[&:]still haven't ridden the bike with the front lowered by the way.

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:48 PM

i rechecked my measurements and actually i lowered the front right about 3/4". i don't think they'll be an bottoming issues with that small drop. my front suspension is set to 3 lines of preload showing and two turns out on both rebound and compression.

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:51 PM

Tahoe, anyone else. i just need to find a way to hoist the front of the bike so i can loosen and retorque the pinch bolts if its necessary. thanks

Old 03-22-2007 | 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

that's the thing...it's NOT torqued down correctly.
just give it a little bit more turn.
hey Tahoe, if i give it just a little more of a turn and i overtorque the pinch bolts how much clamping force can these forks take without getting fubared?

Old 03-22-2007 | 05:10 PM

Bottoming suspension is not a function of distance travel (proximity to ground in static sag conditions). It is a function of max suspension travel available for the given spring rate vs unsprung weight. In other words, he wouldn't bottom the suspension any faster or slower. However since he altered the geometry, in a high G loaded turning situation, stability is sacrificed a bit for agility.

Old 03-22-2007 | 05:11 PM

I lowered front and rear of my F4i and have no regrets, rids a little stiff but the handling is no worse I feel that it is better. Turns real quick almost too quick sometimes when your are not really leaning into it.

Old 03-22-2007 | 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Boostnf4i

I lowered front and rear of my F4i and have no regrets, rids a little stiff but the handling is no worse I feel that it is better. Turns real quick almost too quick sometimes when your are not really leaning into it.
did you torque the fork pinch bolts back after raising the tubes or did you just tighten em up?

Quick Reply: lowered the front