F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lots learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007 | 01:55 PM
Default RE: lots learning

Target fixation is a natural response in a stressful situation, so you have to actively train yourself not to do it. The goal is to note the hazard, then visually move on to your intended route.

You can practice by avoiding manhole covers when you're out riding. That way, if you mess up and go right at the target, it's not a problem, unless you try to swerve when you're actually on the cover, since they can be slick. It gets harder when you're in traffic, since the car ahead of you blocks your view of the manhole cover until you're almost right on it. Just be careful not to swerve into another car's path!

Old 01-12-2007 | 02:50 PM
Banned

Munson, that's probably the best advice I've seen for normal, everyday riders in this thread.

I do that exact thing all the time, it's very good for learning about your bike and how it handles in normal conditions, which is what 95% do everyday.

Using the streets as an obstacle course of sorts can be extremely rewarding as far as real-world skills are concerned...

And it only costs about $2.07 a gallon!

Old 01-12-2007 | 04:19 PM

yea thats excatly what i do with the manhole covers

ORIGINAL: Munson

Target fixation is a natural response in a stressful situation, so you have to actively train yourself not to do it. The goal is to note the hazard, then visually move on to your intended route.

You can practice by avoiding manhole covers when you're out riding. That way, if you mess up and go right at the target, it's not a problem, unless you try to swerve when you're actually on the cover, since they can be slick. It gets harder when you're in traffic, since the car ahead of you blocks your view of the manhole cover until you're almost right on it. Just be careful not to swerve into another car's path!

Old 01-12-2007 | 11:48 PM
stx

if your interested in some reading "motorcycling excellence" is a reallycool book, talks about swerves, looking through the turn,etc actually the whole title is "the motorcycle safety foundation to motorcycling excellence"