F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lots learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots learning

ive realized that i have alot of learning to do still.
i have to work on somethings
1. target fixation
2. cornering

on another note. anyone in new jersey still riding?
if so hit me up i ride almost everyday ( every nice day)

Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Default RE: lots learning

ORIGINAL: NJf4i

ive realized that i have alot of learning to do still.
i have to work on somethings
1. target fixation
2. cornering
ya...take it from me...u want to work on those 2 things...(see my post titled "my crash")

Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 AM

Look where you want to go....its hard to do at first, but you will get use to it. try to keep your eyes up and make sure your on the inside of the bike while leaning, not the outside

Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM

make sure your on the inside of the bike while leaning, not the outside
would you explain that a little more please?.

i try to look thru the turn but for some reason i still manage to "lock on" to something and i go for it.
i guess i just need to practice alot more.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 AM

heads up is probably one of the best skills to have, instead of tucking in when your coming into a turn and focusing on not spilling the bike and staring right in front of you, try learning on long sweepers that you can handle easily. Pick your chin up, and look into the turn. I learned through kart racing where I literally focused on turning my head to face where I was turning to force me to look into the turn. Tricky to learn, but well worth the work.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you find yourself locking on to something and go for it, the issue is probably the 'locking on', rather than the 'going for it', since the bike will always go where you look over any given period of time.
So the way I try to train to avoid target fixation is to actively concentrate away, maybe at a different target. e.g. if you see a pothole, look away, to a point to it's side, i.e. to the path you want your bike to take, and then actively countersteer to achieve that path.
This is important especially when the target is eye-catching (no pun intended) and your natural panic response is to stare at it wide eyed. Oncoming traffic around blind turns can have that effect!
Target fixation is one of the natural instincts one has to train to avoid... any techniques anybody else knows?
Experienced riders - any comments?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM

MSF. Slow, look, push, lean.

When you're cruising, be sure to keep scanning the road condition, cars, and other possible hazards to practice keeping your eyes moving.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's something that you may not want to hear. Get to a Trackday School. You're not far from Loudon and Pocono. They both have schools there. The track is where skills are honed. It will make you a better and safter rider. Therisk is that you will find street riding afterwards to be a bit anti-climatic. Many people have caught the bug that way. I'm debating on turning my bike into a track only.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Retired Moderator

NJ, there is a wealth of good information here. I would strongly urge you to get "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough. Great book, tons of info, and good for beginners to experienced riders. Thereis a chapter that covers cornering and many other chapters with supporting info. Just keep riding, and you will be rewarded with "getting it" a little bitmore each time.Things will click for you in stages, and you'll be at home after the ride with goosebumps and your heart racing.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Here's something that you may not want to hear. Get to a Trackday School. You're not far from Loudon and Pocono. They both have schools there. The track is where skills are honed. It will make you a better and safter rider. The risk is that you will find street riding afterwards to be a bit anti-climatic. Many people have caught the bug that way. I'm debating on turning my bike into a track only.

i was actually looking into going to a trackday school. im curious tho is it expensive? what do i need to bring with me.

i think once the spring comes around im going to look into seriously going to one of these schools.

thanks for the tips and help guys.

Quick Reply: lots learning