F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lost my keys, spare no where to be found

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my keys, spare no where to be found

So yeah, somehow I lost my keychain this past week and we just moved into a new place and my spare is no where to be found I did some google research but was just seeing if anyone has been in this situation or has advice. I read I may need a key code? I'm not original owner though so idk it unless it's on the bike somewhere? Any help is appreciated thanks!! Not riding is killing me!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Call the dealer and see if they can order a key by VIN. You may need to bring them a title w/ ID to prove you are the owner. Then hope it hasn't been changed.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM

I just went thru this... a few days ago. I lost my key a bit over a week ago and cant find it.

On the f4i, and most hondas of this era, theres a code on the ignition cylinder that the dealers or locksmiths can use to cut you a key. The code is on the ignition cylinder right next to the neck lock pin, so it has to be removed from the bike. If you locked your neck before parking like I did then you need to torx bits to get the cylinder off the triple from underneath. Took me a few hours to figure it out, disassemble everything AND take it to the locksmith a half mile from my house.

The code is 6 or 8 character alphanumeric. Should take the dealer/locksmith all of 10minutes. A tiny local hole in the wall locksmith had me set, the local dealer didn't even have the right blank.

edit: I highly suggest using the ignition cylinder and NOT the seat lock. Verify, before you leave the dealer/locksmith, before you pay, that the key unlocks/locks the ignition/neck lock.

Good luck m8

Last edited by Ahks; 07-17-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM

I've seen ignition's with new key for sale on Ebay HONDA CBR600RR CBR600 F4 F4I Lockset Lock Set Ignition Gas Cap Tail & Keys | eBay

I've never heard any reviews or of anyone using this but could be a possibility for you.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 AM

If you drop the ignition switch out you can hotwire it for the time being

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by zimdbw74
I've seen ignition's with new key for sale on Ebay HONDA CBR600RR CBR600 F4 F4I Lockset Lock Set Ignition Gas Cap Tail & Keys | eBay

I've never heard any reviews or of anyone using this but could be a possibility for you.
The locksmith only charged me $25 to cut me 2 keys.
Whats the point in replaceing the hardware it's less work AND cheaper to get new keys.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM

You'll find it the second you either get new keys cut or install a new ignition.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM

if I only have 1 key and need a spare, can I just go to any locksmith and get one cut? Or do I need to go to the dealer?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pookguy88
if I only have 1 key and need a spare, can I just go to any locksmith and get one cut? Or do I need to go to the dealer?
Your locksmith should be able to make you a copy. My local locksmith keeps key blanks for Honda motorcycles & most any vehicle.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ahks
I just went thru this... a few days ago. I lost my key a bit over a week ago and cant find it.

On the f4i, and most hondas of this era, theres a code on the ignition cylinder that the dealers or locksmiths can use to cut you a key. The code is on the ignition cylinder right next to the neck lock pin, so it has to be removed from the bike. If you locked your neck before parking like I did then you need to torx bits to get the cylinder off the triple from underneath. Took me a few hours to figure it out, disassemble everything AND take it to the locksmith a half mile from my house.

The code is 6 or 8 character alphanumeric. Should take the dealer/locksmith all of 10minutes. A tiny local hole in the wall locksmith had me set, the local dealer didn't even have the right blank.

edit: I highly suggest using the ignition cylinder and NOT the seat lock. Verify, before you leave the dealer/locksmith, before you pay, that the key unlocks/locks the ignition/neck lock.

Good luck m8
I'm new to all this so that made no sense to me lol, when you say lock I assume you meant if I put the key in that position before I removed from bike? If so no I didn't lock it, just turned it off.

Quick Reply: Lost my keys, spare no where to be found