F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking for some bright headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DDM Tuning lights question

After reading this thread, going to pull the trigger on some DDM Tuning lights. My question is 35W or 55W? Why wouldn't I just go for the brightest option? Will it draw significantly more power from the charging system? Also, on the website, it says that the 55w option is not recommended for smaller lamp enclosures due to the amount of heat put out. Anyone see any problems with this on our bikes? Anyone running the 55w bulbs and what has been your experience? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by rlew
After reading this thread, going to pull the trigger on some DDM Tuning lights. My question is 35W or 55W? Why wouldn't I just go for the brightest option? Will it draw significantly more power from the charging system? Also, on the website, it says that the 55w option is not recommended for smaller lamp enclosures due to the amount of heat put out. Anyone see any problems with this on our bikes? Anyone running the 55w bulbs and what has been your experience? Thanks.
I'm running 35W DDMs. I personally would not go with the 55W due to the fact its pulling more power and they do get "hotter" then the 35W lights. The housing is already small due to them being on a motorcycle. I have heard HID's slightly melting housing on regular vehicles so I wouldnt take a chance with the 55W. The 35W are insanely bright as it is. Just my own 2 cents.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by cgrace986
I'm running 35W DDMs. I personally would not go with the 55W due to the fact its pulling more power and they do get "hotter" then the 35W lights. The housing is already small due to them being on a motorcycle. I have heard HID's slightly melting housing on regular vehicles so I wouldnt take a chance with the 55W. The 35W are insanely bright as it is. Just my own 2 cents.
Thanks, decided to go with the 35w. Also, after doing some research, I've also read that the 55w is not all that much brighter (i.e. you are not going to see that much more of the road) in real world conditions due to the light being diffused by the reflector. And finally, I've heard some riders blowing fuses, etc. Just not worth it. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by donnygeewebb
The install was a piece of cake. Fit perfect! I recommend them to anyone who like the CCFL halo look as well. They look so frigin sweet.

Has any one gotten this kit with the color changing led this look sick. Also how are the projectors obviously better than stock but how much better do they light up the road?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 AM

Man you guys are funny, I mostly ride at night on roads that have no light and I hardly
ever use my brights. Oem lights are bright enough, use a clear visor and maybe you
could see where your going. Lolz

Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of us have better night vision than others. I for one, cannot see very well at all in the dark when a long line of cars comes against me. On a car or bike I`m dang near blind when that happens, on my lorry it`s not that bad since I sit so high up and away from the beams, but IMO 20 bucks for a good set of bulbs is money well spent. I bought a pair for my Citroen, Osram NightBreakers H1:s for low beams, put them on, was a bit disappointed since I remembered they would be brighter, took it for a spin and noticed that now my high beams are pretty much useless cause the `breakers shoot so much further than those that I had, and am going to replace the hi:s too.

NOTE: if you buy those Nightbreakers as H7 or H1 when lows and highs have separate bulbs the effect MIGHT not be as intense as the manufacturer designed it to be as the shader in front of the bulb destroys some of the blue/white effect (the root and the tip of the bulb has a slight blue tint with a wide bright band in between)

A long story short, Nightbreakers are Xenons not, but they WILL beat your regular filament bulbs there and back.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 AM

So it's hard to see when bright lights are coming at you, well how do you think the
traffic comming at you feels when your illegal hid lights are blinding them.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rd91si
So it's hard to see when bright lights are coming at you, well how do you think the
traffic comming at you feels when your illegal hid lights are blinding them.
Exactly. That`s why I don`t have any.

Those Nightbreakers are regular bulbs with regular wattage, just a little brighter than the cheap ones so 100% legal.

Originally Posted by Mattson
A long story short, Nightbreakers are Xenons not, but they WILL beat your regular filament bulbs there and back.

Last edited by Mattson; 04-06-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 AM

I can understand upgrading the bulbs but not to hids these bikes wern't designed for them.
Each his own but when a blinded vehicle is coming at you don't be suprised.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

If your headlights are adjusted correctly they shouldn't be blinding on coming traffic. And I for one live in a heavily wooded isolated area of Oregon and would much rather see what's about to jump in the road in front of me

Quick Reply: Looking for some bright headlights