F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking to buy an F4i...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an F4i...any advice?

Okay here's the story. I ride a 98 SRAD 600 right now. Love the bike. I think Suzuki and Honda are on pretty equal waves for making sports bikes. Don't really care much about Yamaha/kawasaki even though my first bike was a ninja 250(MSF purposes).

I recently came across an extremely cheap 2005 Honda CBR F4i 600.

The bike has 3,200 miles on it, and is silver and black model. There's no scratches or any damage done to the bike, and it has a full Muzzy Exhaust system on.

The bike is $2,500. Like I said it's very cheap. A guy had baught it for his brother 3 years ago, and then his brother went into the military and got into an accident, and now doesn't want to ride. So he gave the bike back, and now his brother is selling the bike to pay off his own bike.

The current owner of the bike has all of the fairings off the bike, and he was planning on turning it into a stunt/race bike. He has all of the fairings still though, and all of them can easily be put back on.

The only problem I can see is the headlight assembly is not there! When most people make stunt bikes they usually take out the headlight part. He had done that and lost it at some point or something. I'm going to look at the bike in two days, and I just want to know how hard it is to purchase a new headlight assembly kit and assemble it into the bike?(cost?) I'm assuming all of the wiring is still there..i just need the bulbs and such. Can I get some insight on that, I really don't know how a cbrs headlight system works.

What does everyone think of this scenario?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Sounds like a good deal if that's all thats wrong. Look on ebay or something and price out the headlight assembly. installation should be cake.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Greendayfreakrct, if that bike is as good as it sounds, with only 3200 miles at $2500, I'd jump all over it. Like Caddylicious mentioned, putting on a headlight assembly/upper cowl is very easy to do. Used silver uppers are also readily available (eBay).
Welcome to CBRF

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Can you or anyone explain to me what the Headlight system actually looks like or consists of? Just so I can get an idea? When I look at the bike I should be able to tell for my self.

Thanks for the input

He has the uppercowl thank god. I just am trying to figure out what I need to do for the headlight assembly.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Front: Image Rear: Image ...and it attaches to this Image (fairing stay). You can also download a free Service Manual, Here, with detailed pics & instructions. Btw, the '01/'03 manual is the same as '05.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Wow thanks Incgonito! I have no idea if the Fairing Stay is still on the bike. If it's not that means I will have to buy the Headlight Assembly/Fairing Stay and 2 bulbs(If the bulbs are not included)

Damn I'm looking on ebay and the headlight assembly is around 200 dollars. 199 for exact replica brand new and then 45 for shipping! Looks like this could end up being a higher investment than I thought. I was hoping to be able to get the headlight kit for like 45 or something haha

On a side note I know all F4is come as one seat pieces without a rear cowl/seat. Why is it that im looking at pictures of peoples F4Is in the picture section and seeing them have 2 seat pieces on their bike and they're saying their bike is stock? I know there's a split seat conversion, but they didn't have it done. Do some F4is come with split seats?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by greendayfreakrct
On a side note I know all F4is come as one seat pieces without a rear cowl/seat. Why is it that im looking at pictures of peoples F4Is in the picture section and seeing them have 2 seat pieces on their bike and they're saying their bike is stock? I know there's a split seat conversion, but they didn't have it done. Do some F4is come with split seats?
The 01 and 02's came with split seats. If you wanna do a split seat conversion it's very easy and won't cost much witha little Ebay watchin for deals to pop up. Same as the headlight assembly. Or you could try like Stuntlife.com. A lot of stunters love the F4i and will sell parts they take off to make them look like streefighters.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by greendayfreakrct
Looks like this could end up being a higher investment than I thought. I was hoping to be able to get the headlight kit for like 45 or something haha
Even if you were to pay $3000~$3500 for that bike, you'd still be getting a good deal (so long as it's mechanically sound). So if you have to put a few bucks into it to get operational, no big deal.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Be careful. Anytime someone mentions stunt bike be weary. The headlight missing, and the plastic having been removed is a redflag for me. Its not hard to buy a instrument cluster off ebay or from a salvage yard that only reads 3500 miles.
Look for other signs of wear. Chain, sprockets, is there any play in the steering head?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by id_cbrrider
the 01 and 02's came with split seats. If you wanna do a split seat conversion it's very easy and won't cost much witha little ebay watchin for deals to pop up. Same as the headlight assembly. Or you could try like stuntlife.com. A lot of stunters love the f4i and will sell parts they take off to make them look like streefighters.
01 - 03

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an F4i...any advice?