F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Long trips on the F4i? I'm talking really long

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, first, yes, I used the search function, and came across a few good reads; now that I've gotten the disclaimer out of the way, I want some info from you guys. I'm planning quite a long journey on my F4i, and I want to know a few things:
1.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one day on the F4i?
2.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one weekend on the F4i?
3.) what is the greatest distance you've done in one week on the F4i?

1. 205 miles one way, with one quick stop for gas.
2. 300+miles
3. 780 miles
4. greatest distance in a month= 2200 miles

She isn't a garage queen, I ride her!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Last summer myself, 01 F4i, and Champ24, on a RR, from the forums did a road trip from the Fox Cities in Wisconsin to Rapid City, South Dakota. Traveling roughly 400-450 miles per day, it gets to be rather boring humming along down a straight highway at 80mph. By 100 miles down the road we were both always ready to stop and stretch our legs top of the gas and head back on our way making the next leg of the trip. Over all we had a blast, the roads out in the black hills are pretty awesome! We are talking about going back in a year or two to spend some more time in the badlands and see some more stuff that we didn't see the 1st time around. Your trip is possible, but I can see yourself wanting to trade in your f4i for a goldwing by the time you make it to the opposite coast. lol good luck, be safe and prepared.

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The best advice I could give for long days in the saddle of a motorcycle would be to get a tank bag and stuff it full. They make a great pillow to rest your head on as you pass the hours away on the superslab.
Great advice! I also did this on a 1800 mile round trip From WI to SD and back.

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
One thing I didn't see mentioned that I've read elsewhere is to wear a pair of bicycling shorts under your jeans. They say the added padding helps your posterior discomfort to be more bearable.
I could really see that helping a bit.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM

in a day- ~400 miles
on a 4 day trip- ~1200 miles

I didn't really do a road trip though; trailered the bike down to the Dragon's tail and put the miles on down there. For me I need to be moving around the bike (ie twisties) to make long rides manageable. The thought of driving across the middle of the country on my F4i... ouch. I looked on a bunch of iron butt websites for advice (mods, what to bring, etc.). Agree with the seat, throttle lock, possibly risers, padded shorts, etc. I'd also suggest doing several long days in advance of the trip to build up a "tolerance"; it helps. I installed a power outlet and holder for the iphone (tunes/GPS). I also put new grips on; felt like I could put even less pressure on the bars if I wanted. I thought about adding in a radiator guard (just piece of mind) but didn't. The running joke with my crew is I turned my F4i into a "sport tourer"!

Cool trip; I've thought about doing a smaller version. really curious to hear about your adventures!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM

I ended up picking up my bike in Massachusetts and doing some riding on Sunday. only about 250miles, but seeing as I hadn't riden since last season (OK December) I expected to be a little sore in the wrist and lower back after the ride, but I wasn't. It was about 37 degrees out (according to a sign I passed) I did mostly highway, only stopped for gas. I forgot how much fun the bike was, and how freaking quick it is, especially compared to my Explorer. I'll be riding it pretty much every day now, planning to work on it on the weekends. I"m still waiting for my brake lines to show up, but until they do I have plenty to keep me busy.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

1.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one day on the F4i?
300 miles
2.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one weekend on the F4i?
600 Miles
3.) what is the greatest distance you've done in one week on the F4i?
N/A

Just got finished taking my first long major trip on the F4i. I rode from Anaheim to Vegas and Back in three day stretch.

If you haven't done any major trips yet, start doing them. I thought I'd be okay, but after about 250 miles my legs were really cramping up and made for a long last 45 minutes of riding.

Surprisingly my back, butt, arms and wrists never really hurt, only my legs.

I did stop every hour or so for gassing up and stretching. Makes the trip take longer, but it's definitely worth the stops.

One other thing I'll add in. If you can't afford real tail bags, I used a small-medium duffel back and it fit just about perfectly on the bike. I used bungee cords to hold it down and added an additional cable with lock wrapped through the passenger pegs. The duffel bag held 4 days worth of clothes, enough tools to tear the entire bike apart, and snacks/bottles of gatorade.

Good luck on your trip, but start putting in some seat time now, your body will thank you later.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Took the bike in to work today, it was wicked cold, but worth it. I then proceeded to ride out to Groton for a meeting, then rode around groton and back to work; all in all only 142 miles so far, with an additional 30 for the ride home. I love riding this thing.
Thinking about taking it out to the cape this weekend for my vacation, could be fun.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My long one trip was 1250km or ~780 miles in one day on f4i.
In 3 days we make 3090km or 1900 miles.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:25 AM
Thumbs up

Hi mate,

In my opinion the f4i is a verry comfortable compared to other sports bikes.
I cant tell you exact numbers in KMs but ive traveled 8 hours straight only pitstops for gas and food/drinks.
This i expierenced verry postive and doable, still love to ride it next day.

Enjoy

Old 02-15-2021, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This year i have plan a new trip to Greece and Serbia, BiH, Montenegro, Albania, Croatia, Hungary, Poland -2 weeks and ~10.000km.
F4i is great Bike - the best i've ever had , last summer I was on a 1 week trip and when I cruise very soft this bike can have great fuel economy like 4.1 L/100km or 57,37 MPG

Last edited by mikkei; 02-15-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

That’s a lot of territory for two weeks! It sounds like an awesome time.
what are you planning on doing to prepare yourself and the bike for that kind of Journey

Quick Reply: Long trips on the F4i? I'm talking really long