CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Long trips on the F4i? I'm talking really long (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/long-trips-f4i-im-talking-really-long-134528/)

SPR-GRN 02-16-2012 11:24 AM

Long trips on the F4i? I'm talking really long

Hi all, first, yes, I used the search function, and came across a few good reads; now that I've gotten the disclaimer out of the way, I want some info from you guys. I'm planning quite a long journey on my F4i, and I want to know a few things:
1.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one day on the F4i?
2.) What is the greatest distance you've done in one weekend on the F4i?
3.) what is the greatest distance you've done in one week on the F4i?

I'm purchasing a Corbin seat to lessen the strain on my lower back and my butt, but the most I've done in one day on my F4i was 450+/- miles with only stops for gas & bathroom.

Once spring kicks in I'll be testing my numbers by going on long rides on the weekends, but my plan has developed into something a bit longer than I've every attempted on a motorcycle.

The only other distance I've done was on a V-Rod which is quite a bit more comfortable than the F4i, so I'm ignoring that trip; it was a 2,000+ mile weekend.

My goal is to be able to chew up an average of 500miles a day, with the occasional 700mile day thrown in there just for flavor. I don't think it will be impossible, but I want to be able to walk after each day of riding.

The bike is in the process of being prepped for this journey, I've thrown my list up in the "my winter project" section, which I'll update as items get checked off.

Thanks in advance guys, wish me luck.

spoolie25 02-16-2012 03:02 PM

just a thought maybe go up a tooth on the front sprocket to get a few more miles a tank and be able to travel a few more miles an hour. has any one done this yet ??

jveach 02-16-2012 03:09 PM

Put dirty bars on it, or either get some riser clip-ons.

jeffjones 02-16-2012 03:32 PM

Most I have done was about 1000km's in a day of back country twisties and I was sore the next day but not as bad as my buddy on his R6.

74demon 02-16-2012 04:00 PM

DanishF3 would be the guy to ask... he just rode all the way around sweden on his.

boredandstroked 02-16-2012 10:22 PM

I've done PHX to vegas and back along with LA to sacramento via the pacific coast highway and back. I was not a fan of riding that much distance on a daily basis. Im more comfortable after a day at the track then riding long distance, not to mention its really boring. Good luck!

Acespad3 02-16-2012 11:19 PM

I'll ride a half hour to an hour in between stops but I'm more of a city cruiser

gotcbr 02-16-2012 11:39 PM

thirdgenlxi has posted up some of his trips. Some quite long.

Is this a touring vacation you're going on?

While not impossible, 500 mi/day is very ambitious & will feel more like a painful chore than an enjoyable trip...regardless of the seat type. Suggest you add in as much time as you can such that you're not pressed to meet that mileage quota. While you might feel great one day, you might feel lousy the next. You don't want those high mileage numbers hovering over your head like a bad dream. ;-) Having some extra time built in will give you time to get proper rest when necessary.

In addition to proper rest, you'll need to keep hydrated & well fed.

Your idea to "test numbers" on longer rides b/f your trip is a good one. Conditioning is very important to gauging your fitness level. You'll find what works & doesn't work for you.

You sound like you are giving your trip diligent consideration & thought. Enjoy your trip planning.

Good luck & have fun.

SPR-GRN 02-17-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1132503)
just a thought maybe go up a tooth on the front sprocket to get a few more miles a tank and be able to travel a few more miles an hour. has any one done this yet ??

I looked into going +1/0 or 0/-2 - but the reviews were less than steller from other riders, so I'm instead going back to stock; currently I'm -1/0 which is a world of fun.

SPR-GRN 02-17-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 1132708)
thirdgenlxi has posted up some of his trips. Some quite long.

Is this a touring vacation you're going on?

While not impossible, 500 mi/day is very ambitious & will feel more like a painful chore than an enjoyable trip...regardless of the seat type. Suggest you add in as much time as you can such that you're not pressed to meet that mileage quota. While you might feel great one day, you might feel lousy the next. You don't want those high mileage numbers hovering over your head like a bad dream. ;-) Having some extra time built in will give you time to get proper rest when necessary.

In addition to proper rest, you'll need to keep hydrated & well fed.

Your idea to "test numbers" on longer rides b/f your trip is a good one. Conditioning is very important to gauging your fitness level. You'll find what works & doesn't work for you.

You sound like you are giving your trip diligent consideration & thought. Enjoy your trip planning.

Good luck & have fun.

Yeah it is a touring trip, comprising of 7,200miles+/- and three weeks, there will be some stops along the way that are more than just sleeping. The 500miles a day thing is just so I'm not stuck in some boring location just because I need to rest; also it wont be a continuous 500miles, I'll stop along the way to take in some sites, eat some food etc.

I'm aiming for May, so I think I've given myself enough time to prep the bike and myself. I've wanted to do this for some time now, I just think now is the time to do it; once I get married it will be more and more difficult to get a weekend to spend on the bike let alone a span of a few weeks.

I always over think everything I do, some times to a fault; I'm hopeful I'll be able to keep my planning under control.