F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

IT LIVES.... with questions and pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IT LIVES.... with questions and pics

After a heart transplant this 01 is up and running again. The first time I cranked her I got a rough start, and then a high idle. (so far so good...) Second time I tried I got no idle, couldn't keep it consistent.

I'm thinking this is a fuel pressure regulator issue. Does anyone think it's a TPS? I'd like to replace the most likely part first to maybe save some $$.

Lots of mixture smoke oozed out of the exhaust after shutdown.. very rich smelling.

Second question ... my speedometer appears to be directly tied to the tach? Regardless of being in gear the speedo cranks up and down with the tach. Would this have anything to do with these wires being cut in the speedo wire harness? Why would someone do this? To fix the speedometer for a different sprocket? (has a 47 tooth rear on the back..) Current setup is one down/one up.

Thanks everybody! Can't wait to ride this sucker. Found a guy to paint the fairing for me - inspired by the white F4i's on this board I'm going in that direction with some inspiration from another source.

Attached Thumbnails IT LIVES.... with questions and pics-img_6512.jpg   IT LIVES.... with questions and pics-img_6578_50.jpg  
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It's hard to diagnose your problem(s) with what you've described. I think it's huge that you got your bike started. That means you're at least getting air, gas, and spark.

When you say heart transplant, do you mean you or the bike? ... and if it's the bike, what do you consider the heart?

As for those wires leading up to the multi meter, schematics do not show any yellow or red wires routed to that area. Green however, will always be ground on the F4i.

You probably already have one, but if you don't, you can download a service manual off this list: link. You'll need Adobe, which is also free.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THanks for the reply Incognito.

What other information could I supply? The breather hose on the regulator seemed dry, but I'll check it again some time this week.

By heart transplant I mean - replaced the entire engine. When I bought this sucker the original engine was home to 6 quarts of oil and had 30 psi of compression. Very strange. I found a replacement for very little cheddar and put it in with the ratchet strap/milk crate method. This is my first injected bike, so I've not dealt with any of the computer issues on a bike. (cars...sure)

About the wires, I was hoping somebody could shed light on that? Even stranger!

She runs - and sounds GREAT - but she won't idle and is running really rich. I'm going to reset the power commander, or unhook it altogether for a baseline. I have no experience with the PC at all.

Again - thanks for your reply! Any and all suggestions will be heeded.

This may be a race bike with some race-only mods on it. The wheels are some trick forged Magnesium slugs. Also weird though, since I can't find any sign of safety wires etc.