CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   License Plate Mounting (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/license-plate-mounting-136333/)

Checkered Past 04-03-2012 08:20 PM

License Plate Mounting

Hey Guys,

Looking for a few ideas on how people have mounted their license plates. I just put a new shark skinz solo tail and under tail on my bike and I am really not wanting to re-mount my place under my new undertail. I really like how clean it looks! I am thinking of making a custom mount that would attach the place vertically where the rear foot pegs once were. I have seen the swing arm brackets but that looks really low to me. I bought the LED licence plate bolts so lights on the plate will not be an issue. Any thoughs, suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated!

donnygeewebb 04-03-2012 08:33 PM

You could bolt a 90 degree aluminum bracket to the sub frame and cut out a slot for it to slip through the tail? or just make it easy and bolt a small 90 degree bracket to the bottom of the tail? show us a pic!

PantsOnFire 04-05-2012 03:07 PM

A friend of mine who has a 2002 954rr. He put this one on his bike. It fits the F4i also. Side note... In Minnesota you can now get a vanity plate for motorcycles that's vertical. It's readable in a vertical position.

Honda CBR600F4i 01-05 Yana Shinki Side Mount License Plate Bracket Axle 6210813 | eBay

estate4life 04-05-2012 06:47 PM

Bolting plate as high as the pegs? On the side....would there be any drag...once you hit 80mph...just a thought

Checkered Past 04-05-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. I am still thinking about making a custom plate mount to use the rear peg bolts. I would mount it at a slight angle pretty much inline with the exhaust hanger. Basically you would not see the exhaust hanger from the rear only the plate vertically. I have held that stupid plate all over the bike and still undecided. Does anyone know if it is illegal to mount a bike plate vertically? I live in Ohio. A buddy of mine says it is not illegal to have it mounted vertically, only illegal not to have a light on the plate.

donnygeewebb 04-06-2012 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Checkered Past (Post 1147070)
Thanks guys. I am still thinking about making a custom plate mount to use the rear peg bolts.

Eh, I believe that putting it here would create alot of unneeded drag on the bike. Anywhere under the seat or above the rear tire wouldnt create any drag.

gotcbr 04-06-2012 11:38 AM

Checkered Past,
If you really like "how clean" your bike/undertail looks, mounting your plate anywhere but above the rear wheel will negate that clean look. Just mount a small plate bracket on the undertail, mount the plate, done...& it'll still clean looking.

donnygeewebb 04-06-2012 11:52 PM

:icon_ditto: