F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lets play the game of electricity...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets play the game of electricity...

Okay, you can read this first segment if you want the full story. Otherwise skip to the next section. This summer I decided to tear my bike apart. Installed a manual cam chain tensioner, then an undertail, HID's, hotbodies flush mounts, made my own LED tail lights, new dunlops, and thats about all I can remember. As I was putting the tail section back on I had the bike running (don't know why) I believe the tail was putting pressure on the wiring harness that runs along the right side of the subframe (all your wires for tail lights, brakes, turn signals, license plate) and the bike studdered. hmmm. After I get everything back together I go for a ride. everything is great. Oh, that's a cop behind me. pull over, kill the bike. When he's done with me, I go to start bike bike. turn the key to on, and the speedo screen dies. Why? When this happens the fuel pump doesn't prime. Take the bike home and take the multimeter out.

Now the important stuff: Fuel pump wasn't priming. Bike did turn over. Strong. So I check out the fuel pump relay. When my speedo screen went blank and the pump quit, I knew I had to wiggle the fuel pump relay and it would come back to life. So I crimped new connectors onto the wires. that made everything tight. Reconnect to the relay, no luck. There are two circuits in the relay. One coil charges when you turn the key. The other circiut is a contact that closes when that coil is charged. There was power going through the "charge coil" circuit (whatever you like to call it). However, there was no continuity going through the contact circuit. hmmm. I bought TWO new relays. No luck. Now, when I jump the wires for the contact circuit of the relay everything is fine. the pump primes and functions like normal. WHAT'S THE ISSUE? If I can jump those two wires and make it work, that tells me the relay is the problem. But surely two brand new relays from honda couldn't both be bad. HELP?!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:36 PM

PS: I jumped those two wires together and I've been riding it that way for about two months now. No issues that I can tell. It just irritates me that its not correct.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM

did you check your connections at the front wiring harnesses??

Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM

yes I searched and searched and searched and saw a post from you on another thread saying check a green ground wire on the gray harness that connects to the upper fairing