F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

***LED/BATTERY PROBLEM***

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***LED/BATTERY PROBLEM***

I have a 2004 F4i and bought this multi-million LED light set for it and put it on about 3 weeks ago. I went to start my bike and the bike didn't start. My headlight began to dim and I said ****...I'm loosing power from this light thing. I called my friend thinking I should buy a battery tender, but he said if my battery is below a certain wattage, I'll never get full power back and will risk the bike possibly just shutting off. He said if my bike has an accessory lead, to plug the light kit in there, and get a new battery. I didn't even know about this thing, does anyone know if my bike has an accessory lead? I tried searching it online, but couldn't get an answer. I'm very pissed off right now, b/c you try to make your bike look good and this is the BS you have to deal with....spending more to f-ing fix it. WTF!!![:@] Also has anyone hooked up a similar light kit and had a problem and if so, how did they get around it? My man thinks that I should run the power wire for the LEDs to a non-active fuse, so there is not constant power to the LEDs. I had this problem with my air horn in my car and did a similar thing, I just don't want to risk loosing power from the bike when I'm riding. Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Default RE: ***LED/BATTERY PROBLEM***

i don't have the light kit, but it sounds like you need to hook up the lights to switched power. Meaning when your turn key on to start power is then supplied to the lights. Did you hook straight to the battery? Power all the time to lights?? That would probably run the battery down if you did. To find an accessory lead ( i dont know where there are ) get a test light and hook up one end to the ground and then look for a post or something around the battery (starter relay or such) that when you turn on the key(not start position) the test light will turn on then hook it to that. i hope that helps i wish i knew more. Your battery may just be ran down try charging it.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 AM

I would not recommend connecting accessories directly to the battery. Connect the lights to the tail light circuit the ground can be connected to the frame.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 AM

You got an air horn on you car!! That Kicks A#@

Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Maniac33

You got an air horn on you car!! That Kicks A#@

Thanks....LOL....it's a ludicris kind of thing... "MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY" LOL!!!

Thanks for the responses..

Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 AM

hey pits, i didn't know this, why didn't you tell me?? anyways, you're not online so here goes.

The led kit SHOULDN"T draw any battery from your bike if it is turned off. However, i haven't really looked into the kit yet. It could draw some power, but nothing major. LED's draw so lil current that it most likely wont make a difference at all.

I have a multimeter if you don't have one. Use a multimeter to test your battery. it should read somewhere around 13.5 volts. if you read around 12.5, it means its not fully charged. If you put a battery tender on the battery and check the voltage, you will see that its probably around 13.5 volts. Since its the winter now, take the battery inside and let the battery fully charge. Take the reading of the battery everyday for around a week. You will now know if your battery is holding charge. If it drops around 13.5 to 12.5 in like a week, it means you most likely need a new battery. But i doubt that the leds would drain your bike that much. Might just be that you haven't ridden on the thing all winter because its so damn cold here. But here is the alternative, you can put a manual switch on the bike. Not exactly sure where, but its not pretty simple. just take the power wire you have now which is hooked up to the battery, cut in in half, put a switch in the middle, (don't forget a 5-10 amp fuse in between)

Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM

I have a switch hidden on the inside of my fusebox on my F3 for my leds. I only have 4 of them total, but the other day I got a hold of a led cadillac tail light with about75 leds on there. I wired it up to a battery, and holy **** is it bright. I busted of the lens and plastic opaque piece so it is only the leds. I want to put them on the bike somehow. Maybe in the rear pegs or make an additional led strip on the back under the tail that flashes with the turn signals or something. The possibilities are almost endless now. I just dont want to kill the battery doing so.