F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Leaning and dragging bike parts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaning and dragging bike parts!

Hey fellas, it looks like I'm getting to the point of leaning my bike so much that bike parts are starting to drag. Until recently it was the front of my toe that would drag on turns, and then i started readjusting the positioning of my foot a little further back on the peg, and today my peg feelers dragged for the first time as I was going around a freeway ramp. I'm running on Michelin Pilot Powers, stock suspension and settings, and stock can. I read some threads where it was recommended that I remove the peg feelers, but if I do that should I be worried about my stock can or pegs dragging next? The stock can will be replaced soon with a Yoshi TRS or a Scorpion shorty so I won't have to worry too much about the exhaust...but I still don't really like the idea of grinding my beautiful stock pegs :P

Could I be able to make some adjustments to my bike to maintain my current lean angle or possibly even increase it? I'm probably around 185lbs with gear and as I said, currently on stock suspension settings and tire pressure at 36/42. Should I maybe stiffen up the suspension on the front and rear and drop the rear tire pressure to 36? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaning and dragging bike parts!

1. most importantly...you shouldn't ride so hard on a freeway onramp or offramp!
2. second most important...if you're grinding hard parts before you can drag knee...your body positioning is way off. you need to get off and out of the bike to change the center of gravity so that you can carry more speed through a turn with less lean.
3. yes, remove the feelers.
4. yes your can may hit next...so toss it and get aftermarket can

Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM

I'm with Tahoe on this one.
Dump the feelers cause if one of those grabs into a hole in the tarmac while your grinding them you'll need to worry about more than just foot pegs and exhausts. I've seen those dump people and their bikes on their ***.
If your going that fast into corners get a pair of leather race pants with knee sliders on them and grind the sliders not the bike ( the titanium sparkie sliders look good by the way )

Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

1. most importantly...you shouldn't ride so hard on a freeway onramp or offramp!
2. second most important...if you're grinding hard parts before you can drag knee...your body positioning is way off. you need to get off and out of the bike to change the center of gravity so that you can carry more speed through a turn with less lean.
3. yes, remove the feelers.
4. yes your can may hit next...so toss it and get aftermarket can

tahoe is the mang

Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM

funny you should mention that..... I just dumped my bike Friday night for that very reason. draggin hard parts that is. My two mistakes were:

1) I had my rear brake pedal adjusted down so that I couldnt lock it so easily. never was an issue until this past weekend we I really learned to drag parts down at the dragon. my footpeg feeler drug, no big deal, then, my brake pedal started dragging, but I couldnt tell, I thought it was still just the feeler. next thing I know the pedal leveraged my back tire off the ground and that was all she wrote. totalled the bike in the guardrail. I was wearing full gear, so Im am thankfully no worse off.

2) I was leaning way off the bike, but not enough to drag a knee. I only had one cheek off the seat, but my torso was low and way to the inside. If I had known had to drag a knee, I probably would have made it.

That big stock can will drag, get rid off it. I had a nice Akro slip on, it didnt drag until the bike landed on it.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM

i personally wouldn't remove the feelers for street riding ever. they give you some feedback as to how much lean angle your using kinda of like a lean-angle alarm. when they start scraping, honda is basically saying you shouldn't push any harder. if you hit the track you'll definitely need a can and some new rearsets

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Dont ride hard on freeway ramps... its not cool and its fricken dangerous I know from experience... hit some twisties up if you want to drag ****

Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Draggin' anything on the street can get you a ticket.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Ya I know, I hit up the twisties, just saying the first time dragging my feelers happened to be on a rather sharp fwy onramp. I may just re-evaluate my body positioning and try to hang off the bike more. The exhaust will be replaced soon so I won't worry about the stock can dragging...But still unsure about the suspension and tire pressure, what do you guy think for someone of 185lbs w/ gear?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 AM

Yeah hang dat *** of the bike a bit put the foot back on peg and stick that knee out and put your head to the side mirrors if your scrapin like that! Or slow down!!!

Quick Reply: Leaning and dragging bike parts!