F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

leaking bolt, any1 know what size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking bolt, any1 know what size?

ok so after a few weeks of my bike sitting around i finally found time to see what was leaking, i took off the lower rad. hose and looked under the stator cover and seen oil coming from the bolt. I figure it might be loose and just loosen it then put some sealant around it and tighten it but dunno what size it is and i have no tools where im at right now and cant find it it the manual. The bolt is under the stator cover and behind the lower rad hose. Anyone got a size so i can get some tools from work on monday? lmk thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Default RE: leaking bolt, any1 know what size?

Step one: Don't post a ****ty picture. Be sure the picture is of more than a couple square inches so we can see exactly what you're talking about by being able to tell what's around it. If you *MUST* take a close up, don't exceed the focal length of the camera. Stay back and ZOOM right on in. It'll stay in focus much better.

Step two: It's either a 10, 12, 14 or 17mm bolt. Use a ruler if you need to, or just grab a rail of sockets. If you can't find a ruler, use your finger. Compare the bolt to your finger nail and make a mental note of the difference in size between your finger nail and the bolt head. Don't forget whichfinger nailyou use, since they're all different sizes... maybe write "I used this one" on your finger in case you forget. Judging from my point of view, it looks to be about 24-26mm, but if I change my monitor resolution, it gets even bigger- around 32mm, so I have no idea how big it really is.

Step three: Figuring things on your own rather than rushing to post your running train of thought is a lot more fun, more rewarding, and will actually teach you things in a way that you will remember them better, rather than being spoon fed every shred of information.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM

lol,.....if we give you the answer you will never learn anything.

Pull the bolt out and take a photo and take a photo of where it came from. It could be almost any size and any length,. your guess is good as mine.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM

that would be the oil drain plug..i believe its a 14 maybe? 15?

edit: actually on a second look its not...i dont know what it is