F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

layin your baby down

Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default layin your baby down

how long did it take you all before you laid yours down. I have ridden my bike 3-4 times (its not street legal yet, hopefully next week!!! i cant wait!) anyways, and the last time i laid it down. it was no big deal. I'm keeping it at my bro's house and he has a gravel driveway. I always go really slow when i am on his driveway, cause it makes me nervous, but even as slow as i go i still screwed up. I was turning off the pavement onto his driveway and i guess i didnt get the bike completely out of lean before i got on the throttle again (not hard, just gently) and the back tire washed right out from under me. I have heard it is pretty common to happen when you are new, but i still felt like such a dumbass. I am fine, i was literally already picking the bike up once it hit the ground. It all happened very slow. It was just very frustrating. I had a buddy who got a bike last summer, and he also dropped his when on gravel once, but he wasnt moving as slow as I was. So i was just curious how many of you laid your bike down in gravel, and how long had you owned it? Its not really a big deal for me, as u can see form my sig the bike was damaged when i got it. now i just scratched the otherside to match new fairing are already on the way (although i think i am going to postpone putting them on while i learn wtf i am doing) hopefully this will be my 1 low-side in the first 6 months..but i have got alot of learning to do...

Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Default RE: layin your baby down

Year and a half. Well, if you don't count my third time on it- in the middle of winter coming back from my x-fiance's house; I rode 20 miles home in a hoodie, jacket, gloves, and jeans. Sub 30 degrees outside. I was frozen, and when trying to park in the garage I just couldn't move AND hold onto the bike at the same time. Laid her over, and minor scratch on the fairing.

Year and a half later... middle of winter again- crashed twice in the same night and same spot. First timeNO damage. Second time...bike high-sided. Broken front fairing, fairing mount, mirrors, winscreen, handlebars, throttle assembly, side fairings, tail fairing, passanger seat (just ripped cover and lost foam), broken into pieces 905 stunt cages, scratched exahaust. [:@]

Old 06-05-2007, 04:25 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i was on my 4th bike before i ever droped it. i was in my drive way in full gear taking pictures and making a tight turn because of cehicles in the driveway and i lost momentum and i couldnt power through the turn and it was @ an angle so gravity says you gotta fall. luckily i had frame sliders and i only got some rash on my mirror and a lil bit on the stator cover.

i have been riding about over a year and went from a f3>f3>900rr>929rr you always feel like a dumbass when you drop your bike but like i said in my post , "id much rather drop my bike in the driveway then whil eim out riding in a turn or some ****"

Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM

2 days after i got my bike i dropped it at a stop sign....can't really explain it but sh*t happens...it sucks when the bike gets to that "point of no return" and you know its going straight to the ground....whatever...few scratches and i learned first hand how to pick a bike up that day

Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 months, then i destroyed and rebuilt. flip that **** over a few times, itll add some character to your bike

Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM

i did mine after i had it 3 months. i was going to a freinds house going around a turn all of the suddon the road was cut up. no signs or any thing so i hit this hole in the road and then lose sand ose control of the bike for a few seconds go it back and was in the grass on the side of a hill and im going thank god. but right after i thought that the bike slid out from under me and down the hill on the wet grass. luckly i only broke a turn signal and bent the rear break lever

Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never layed a street bike down, in a lot of years of riding. dirt bikes are a different story, them things seem to flip and roll daily.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC
id much rather drop my bike in the driveway then whil eim out riding in a turn or some ****"
thats pretty much what i said too after it happened

Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM

I dropped mine twice in the first month I had it. Once at a red light I just lost balance and in slo-mo dropped it down. no damage there except a bent break lever. The next time I put it down when a big black SWAT suburban pulled out in front of me in the rain. Thankfully I was onlly going about 40Km/H. I slid ahead of my bike so I didn't see what happened to it. All I know is cracked right fairing, cracked left fairing, cracked the ear by the windscreen, lost my left mirror, scratched rear fairing (cowl or whatever it's called), broken gear shift peddle, broken break peddle and scratched both the stat and alternator covers. Man was I pissed. One month to the day after I got her and she was... well she's still my baby so I love her, deformed though she may be.

Quick question: What is high side and low side?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 PM

low side is when the back tire slides out from under you, and the bike just lays down

high side is when that starts to happen, but then the rear tire catches and the bike flips over the over way (tires over seat) like ALMOST happened here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935dSmNIjMM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: layin your baby down