F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Larger Diameter Grips for 2002 F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger Diameter Grips for 2002 F4i?

Did a search and didn't come up with anything having the detailed information I hoped to find. I have nerve damage in my right hand which the small diameter of the oem throttle grip aggravates and I would like to find a replacement grip which is larger in diameter. This is not a case of "death grip" or hand angle as I've had to adapt a number of things such as my car's floor gear shift **** and road bicycle handlebar and shifter profiles over the years. I don't mind the hard construction of the oem grips, it's the diameter that is the primary problem. Would like to find something around 1.5 inches in diameter if possible. Any suggestions? TIA

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrap a few layes of hockey tape on my bars then slid the grips on with compressed air.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM

In an attempt to stop my hands from going numb I bought some black foam rubber sheets from the crafts section of walmart, cut a piece sized to wrap over the stock grip, then glued them in place with contact cement. It helped a little, not as much as I'd hoped, but I did notice the increase in the grips diameter. Not sure that the increase would be enough to help in your case but it may be worth a shot. The sheets I'm referring to are about the size of a piece of notebook paper and come in assorted colors, less than a dollar per sheet.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Somewhat related question: Am I correct in that the grips are only held on by the friction/tension from the grips elasticity? No glue or lock screws?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, many of them are glued on. However, it's not a real strong glue... just enough to make it stick a little bit. You can use compressed air under the grip and slide them right off.
On the larger diameter grips.. they sell foam grips that will fit. They're pretty thick. I have a set and was surprised by how thick they were.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
On the larger diameter grips.. they sell foam grips that will fit. They're pretty thick. I have a set and was surprised by how thick they were.
I will have to look at those. Do you remember what brand yours are? Tks

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Forget the foam, I used a tennis racket grip wrap from wilson. 2$ at walmart. One wrap per side. I used the comfort pad model that looks like it has a little piping down the middle of it. Tons of comfort and grip.

Reasons I love it.
- Ive got huge hands being 6'5" and it makes it just the right size after.
- cheap
- holds during torrential rain. without problem
- allowed me to only have a sore butt, not hands on a 3 day trip to the dragon. 580 miles in one day, a day riding there, and the same 580 mile trip back. Before I couldn't stand more than 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- looks good too.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by coolbluedab
Forget the foam, I used a tennis racket grip wrap from wilson. 2$ at walmart. One wrap per side. I used the comfort pad model that looks like it has a little piping down the middle of it. Tons of comfort and grip.
Good suggestion which brings to mind another idea. I do a lot of bicycling and use bar tape with a gel center; similar concept. I'll check out the racket wrap. Thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM

any one have a good link for grips. Looked on Ebay. those look like crap. any suggestions on a specific brand?
s

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Incompatible
Good suggestion which brings to mind another idea. I do a lot of bicycling and use bar tape with a gel center; similar concept. I'll check out the racket wrap. Thanks
That is what I looked for originally, but like many.... purpose built automotive crap... it is crazy expensive and a tad thin/hard. The tennis stuff was dirt cheap, and VERY effective. I don't know how I would have done on that road trip if not. 1700 miles in 3 days...

Quick Reply: Larger Diameter Grips for 2002 F4i?