CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Key won't turn, gas cap stuck. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/key-wont-turn-gas-cap-stuck-119893/)

MikeN02 01-05-2011 07:52 PM

Key won't turn, gas cap stuck.

I think I may have messed up my bike. My gas cap was having problems before, I would have a hard time getting it open. I had to wiggle back and forth and then get it open sometimes for 5+ minutes. So I opened it up, used WD-40 to lube everything as there were white dry spots everywhere. Now it was all lubed up and working I put it back together.

Now I tested it, the key won't turn, locking my gas cap. Any way to open it or fix it without damaging it? If I can't find any help on here I'm going to bring it into the mechanics tomorrow.

Thanks.

PlayfulGod 01-05-2011 08:41 PM

spray a lil wd-40 in it ;)

MikeN02 01-05-2011 08:47 PM

I sprayed it in all of the pieces when I had it disassembled. It doesn't feel like it's stuck, more like Locked.

PlayfulGod 01-05-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MikeN02 (Post 1002127)
I sprayed it in all of the pieces when I had it disassembled. It doesn't feel like it's stuck, more like Locked.

mine does it from time to time and thats what I do about once a year. but I've not had mine apart, so you may have a tumbler not falling into place like it should. Only thing I could think of it to remove the whole assembly and see if you can take it apart then to check it out.

MikeN02 01-05-2011 09:19 PM

How can I remove the assembly? I unscrewed the bolts holding it to the gas tank but I guess the lock won't budge when I try to take it out.

josh_mac17 01-05-2011 09:36 PM

I had the same problem. Fixed it by using a flat head screw driver and turning it hard until it opens. Used that ghetto way for a little bit until i got a new gas cap but it worked for the time being and you can lock it with the screw driver as well.

MikeN02 01-05-2011 09:54 PM

Tried using the flat head screw driver. No go, seemed like the flat head would bend or snap before it would turn.

josh_mac17 01-05-2011 10:10 PM

I used the biggest/thickest one that I could fit in there (insert gay joke here) and just turned it until it unlocked and then it was easy to keep doing after it was broken.

gotcbr 01-05-2011 10:29 PM

I'm sure you tried everything but thought I'd mention it anyway... When I push down on my cap - then turn the key, it always easier to unlock.

If you start experiencing problems again, you may want to consider replacing your keylock cap w/a keyless race type screw on cap.

MikeN02 01-05-2011 11:25 PM

Yeah I tried it. It's in an eternal lock. Would replace it with a vortex keyless now to save all the headache in the future but I can't get the darn thing off.