F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

K&N filter, bad or more gooder?

Old 08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter, bad or more gooder?

I put a Jardine RT-One race baffle slipon aboard my new '05 F4i. I ordered the PCIII that the guys at PipeCity were nice enough to preprogram for me based on this motor and pipe, and I also got a K&N performance filter. Stuff should be here by Friday.

Now, the map that will be in the PCIII works for this motor and pipe with either a stock or K&N filter... It is the same map that you can download from Dynojet.

My question is, that I have read conflicting reports on the net that the F4i actually makes less HP with the K&N filter. Some say that the R6 does as well. I read it in more than one place so I am concerned that I will go to the effort and trouble of installing it, only to have it make less power, which would require me to take it out and really **** me off. Won't make a difference with the PCIII, I can use that map either way.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oh, the other thing is that I cannot find the page in my manual that shows how to remove and replace the air filter. I am assuming that it is under the tank?

Old 08-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Default RE: K&N filter, bad or more gooder?

Nobody here with an F4i has any input on this? Sheesh...

Well, perhaps someone knows of a good map for this pipe and bike, that is better than the one from Dynojet, which I hear can be hit or miss?

Old 08-22-2005, 05:37 PM

I've heard the same thing you have that K&N's actually hurt peformance. Have I seen a dyno sheet to prove it no. As far as maps go get all the engine performance products you want then go get a custom map. That is the only way to go with a power commander. Just because Bo Bo at DynoJet made a map for his F4i with an exhaust and filter doesn't mean your bike runs exact same...custom map...that's all I got to say

Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 PM

I have seen that pipes and K&N will generally improve top-end performance. This is great if you spend a lot of time in the 10k+ RPM range. On the flip side, these top-end gains can sometimes be at the expense of mid-range performance where most street riding is happening.

If you're lucky you may be able to avoid hurting your mid-range power, beyond that I would only expect to pick up more power at the top-end of the rev range.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 PM

Well, I talked to a guy at the local race shop that came highly recommended from the guys at Georgia Sportbike Forum... He said to install the PCIII using the Dynojet map, but to leave the OEM filter in.

He will charge me $200 to do a 3.5 hour session on the dyno, creating a custom map from scratch using the OEM filter. Then he can put the K&N filter in and rerun the dyno to see if it helps or hinders.

Sounds like the best way to do it, to have a truly custom map for this bike that should be dialed in perfectly. Then I can look to start regearing the bike. I ordered a 1 tooth lower front sprocket, so we will see if that makes a difference.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 AM

please post your finding when you get this done...there is varying opinion out there and I love to see some numbers....I personally cant see how a k&n can hurt, but alot of guys say the stock air filter is better....I just put my k&n on and cant tell any difference with throttle response...Im sure the gain or loss is minimal....Lata jack