F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

K & N

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N

So, who's using the K&N Air filter? Do you like it better than the stock Honda one? Opinions please

Old 12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K & N

i'm using one...
the answer is no...
bike revs faster but absolutey no power increase...
just lots of popping...
so boys and girls...if you want K&N, you need to get tuned for it!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 04:08 AM

honestly K&N is not what its cracked up to be, do a search on K&N and there is a article i posted somewhere that showed the performance levels of K&N to other brands, and u guess it. K&N was dead last. sure it lets in more air, but what comes with it? dirt. i guess i could sacrifice the extra dirt for that 1- maybe 2 horsepower increase. actually im being sarcastic. Its really not worth it, there are other modifications out there that give you alot more horsepower for your money, and if horsepower isnt a problem then spend all your money on a good suspension set-up. u can have a fast bike, but i would rather have one that can out handle. hope this sheds some light.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Retired Administrator

I have a K&N installed. Not for power, but for the ease of cleaning. I like the reusable part of it. You really shouldn't see much improvement from a filter upgrade alone. You need to upgrade the exhaust to use the extra air intake. I've seen a display set up in a car shop that runs non-stop. It's set up with a stock car filter and the K&N in transparent boxes. It directs the air through a tube to lift a ball and the stock one is barley moving while the K&N is flying. And... to answer the dirt question... the stock filter side is filled with dust with the K&N side is still clean. K&N advertisement so do they set up it up for failure on the stock side.... who knows.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Interesting! I'm sticking with a stock one

Old 12-25-2005, 03:38 PM

Interesting! I'm sticking with a stock one
Excellent choice.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm running one at the moment, I've found that its sorted out the snatchy throttle responce and also made acceloration a lot smoother and a tad quicker.

As its a high air flow filter it will obviously let in more dirt and particals but thats the price you pay.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:09 AM

Yeah, I noticed a little quicker acceleration north of about 8k rpms. I think a pipe and power commander would be a good combo to have with a filter to take full advantage of all three.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Retired Mod

first things first. this thread is in a f4i section and i do not have a f4i but i do have a k&n. so my findings/opinions could be way off.

i too bought the k&n for the wash and reuse factor. this sold me on it. the k&n is less than the price of 2 stock filters. after installing my power commander, i downloaded the map that was right for me. it stated stock or k&n air filter. i read info on the sight that stated if the map had the stock/k&n recommendations, either could be used with that map because there was not enough of a difference to warrent two separate maps. that tells me that the k&n and the stock filter flow close to the same amounts of air. i would still recommend the k&n (or any other reusable filter) to anyone because of the money it saves over the long run. just my opinions.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Banned

I'm running one at the moment, I've found that its sorted out the snatchy throttle responce
I'd try a K&N for this reason alone.