F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

just wondering - 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just wondering - 2 questions

I just purchased a '03 F4i and i went to get the safety checked, the mechanic is saying it needs new fork seals can this be possible if the bike only has 6K on it? or did I buy a lemon? or is the guy just taking mefor a ride?

Also i've been noticing a lot of different things. I've ridden dirt bikes before, but never a street bike, and I find the shifts b/w gears is rather jerky, is this common? i rode my buddy's gixxer and it shifted pretty nice, i'm getting worried i got myself into more then i originally thought.

can anyone assist?

much appreciated

Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Default RE: just wondering - 2 questions

Are the seals leaking? Check the forks to see if you have oil on them. As far as the shifting goes I cant help you just reading about it.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 AM

yeah i was looking at the forks and I dont see any oil, but the guy "assured" me i needed it or else he wouldn't safety the bike so i can register it, which i've already dished $80 for. is he taking me b/c he knows i'm new to the street bike scene?

and in terms of the shifting, when i accelerate out of first, around 4000 RPM and shift to second it jerks and shifts rough, and that happens through all the gears, but if i give it a little gas before doing so it's somewhat smoother, just wondering if that is normal b/c i dont want to bring the RPM's over the 10K mark if it shifts that rough at that speed.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 AM

leaky seals? I have 9 K on mine and have never had a seal issue. As for your shifting, you can shift smoothly by the way you let your clutch out. I have shifted as high as 14K. Your smoothness and shifting comes with experience and learning your bike.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

deffinetly just get used to the bike more and get used to the clutch. but maybe some of your fellow canada riders can meet up with ya and help ya out eh . and if you really dont trust the mechanic you could always take it to a different shop and have them inspect it. also if the person who owned it beofre you was doing alot of wheelies/endos that could be the reason behind the premature fork seal failure unless the guy is just full of ****

Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 AM

How do you guys usually shift- do you release the accelerator completely while shifting or just a bit?I find shifting also really tricky and jerky but I am pretty sureit's just because I don't have enough experience...

Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive ridden for years but having just got my 02 4i find that the fuel injection isnt that smooth low in the rev range. As the redline isnt until high 13's - try changing higher up - say 6K. If you have a non standard pipe that wont help with the fuelling and thus the running. Gear changes should be smooth but will be more 'clunky' than dirtbikes as you dont normally feel the gears engaging on a dirtbike (heavy boots) and your new to road bikes -so listen out more.
Its not uncommon for forks seals to go anytime. Dry flies on the leg is enough sometimes. The bike could have been in the sun lots (drying the rubber protector and allowing more crap to get to the seal) or it could have been wheelied alot!! Why not tell the bloke you would like to watch (for interests sake?)

Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swapping fork seals isn't exactly cheap.
got any pix?

they are usually changed only when they leak or during a rebuild.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Clean the forks/fairings completely and then go for a "bumpy" ride. If you have excess oil on the forks or fairings then yeah your seals could be bad. Otherwise, he is trying to fork some money out of you.

Take it to a different shop.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 PM

all of you are great! thanks for the info, taking it out for a ride today felt better, shifting a lot smoother, and what not, i think definitly it was just getting used to the feel of it.

the forks.... unfortunately i just got them changed, cost me $300 big ones frig...

thanks for the info everyone!

now i gotta buy an exhaust....

while i'm here, what's a slip on? and whats the difference b/w a slip on and a full exhaust other then price? will i really notice a difference, I've also read I have to tune my air-fuel mixture if i get an exhaust and air intake? anyone selling one for cheap cheap cheap? ^^

i love it here and it feels so good to ride especially the cbr, thanks everyone

Quick Reply: just wondering - 2 questions