F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just bought an used, ugly 01 F4i... Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an used, ugly 01 F4i... Lots of questions

Hello everyone,

I just bought an 01 f4i as a semi-project bike. Myprevious bikewas aninja 250.The f4iruns but it sure is ugly. I'll post some pics as soon as I can take em. Been reading quite a bit on here and learn a lot. I think I wore out the search function. LOL.

Here's the current state of the bike.
- 21k, ebay fairing, painted with some cheap, flat, black paint. They painted the gas tank too. I spilled some gas on the paint and took it right off. Half of the screws used to attach the fairing to the frame are missing.
- No mirrors, No front or back turn signals. It does have a rear fender eliminator kit though.
- They removed all of the air box assemble on both side. I do have those in hand.
- Front fender is missing
- They inner fairing is missing as well as the air box covers on both side. I do have those coming via ebay.
- The chain cover on the engine side is missing. I can see the chain and sprocket on the engine side.
- It seems to run OK. I only rode it couple of times. The brake lever was cracked so I broke it when I hit my iron fence backing out of thedriveway.
- The Tachometer is not working even though the rest of the informations is showing (speed, time, odometer, coolant temp...)
- The rear tire is going bald, needs to be replace soon. I didn't know motorcycle tires are as expensive if not more than automobile tires (& i drive a 5 series bmw).

So far, I bought the following parts and it's coming.
- used inner fairings.
- Set of aftermarket levers.
- intergrated tail, brake, and turn signal light.
- Aftermarket mirrors.
- Vortex frame sliders.

Of course i need to get enough on it so I can start riding it. I don't think this bike would ever win any beauty pageant but I need to at least have it some what decent.

My questions for now are.
- How many people took off their front fender? I don't plan on riding in the rain so do I really need the front fender.
- Is the chain cover on the engine side needed? What would be the down side if I leave it like that? I can't even find the part # for it and I looked at the ron ayers web site.
- Anybody have a problem with the tachometer not working while the rest of the cluster works? I plan on taking off the cluster and check the rpm signal from the ECM to the cluster. Hopefully it's a just a loose connection. Don't really want to replace the instrument cluster nor the ECM.

I'm looking forward to spending some time here and hopeful contribute to a great forum.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Default RE: Just bought an used, ugly 01 F4i... Lots of questions

I wouldn't ride without the front fender. I need the headlights it's attached too and it's more aerodynamic. I can't deal with all that wind that I would be hitting riding at freeway speed.

Chain guard is not needed, but it'll sure protect your leg from being ripped off if they chain should become loose come off the sprocket or snap. Look on ebay for one. They have plenty.

I've never really had a problem with the tachometer. Take off the cluster and check the rpm signal from the ECM to the cluster and get back to us? Hope I've been helpful.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM

If your tach isn't working check the fuses, they are located under the seat. For alot of your parts you can also find them on www.bikebandit.com, they are bit more expensive, but they are brand new and you know they are going to fit. You may feel like you bought an ugly duckling, but its really a swan waiting to blossom. With enough time and money you can make anything look good again. Thats why its called a project bike. How much did you pay for it?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Running without front fender... no problem. Take a look at any supermoto.

countersprocket cover... not necessary, but more importantly, is it also missing the chain guide? It's a U-shaped aluminum or steel bracket that fits where the countersprocket cover would be. You want to have that chain guide at the very least.

Tachometer, general troubleshooting rules apply.

Definitely get yourself some new tires.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens
How much did you pay for it?
2100. Seemed like a good deal at the time.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

If the engine is running good. Its a diamond in the rough.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM

no fender LOL

have fun replacing that radiator in the future

Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Like said, tires would be the first and best change I would do on the bike.

I changed my tires a week or so after I bought it.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 PM

stephens got it. if you got a good motor youre golden. may check fuses for the tach. as for the front fairing, youre gonna need to find a way to mount the headlight assmebly and tip sensor if you dont want the front fairing. congrats on the purchase and step up from the ninja. keep us posted on your project!