F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just bought street fighter, need help! 01 f4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought street fighter, need help! 01 f4i

Hi Everybody, first off i just signed up for this forum because i just bought an 01 CBR f4i yesterday which is in semi street fighter state and is in also pretty beat down shape. Nice to meet everybody. Anyway heres my problem...
1. How do you take off the gas tank? On my 07 R1 i can take off all the hoses and just a little bit of gas will come out and thats it but when i pulled off one of the hoses under the tank the gas would just not stop flowing. My only thought was to just cap it while i take the tank off. I had no idea how to take off the line that looks similiar to the brake line end, i figured again gas would just come out. Please help, heres a pic.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...88/Gastank.jpg

2. Second problem. Look at the front wheel axle. it definately loooks as if a cotter pin or SOMETHING is missing. Anybody know what? heres a pic.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...twheelaxle.jpg

Im not a newb when it comes to bikes nor am i an expertand this is my first bike that i have bought that is in pretty bad condition, im gonna be using it to stunt but just doing all the regular maintanance since i just bought it. (oil change, coolant flush, plugs, filter, etc). I dont intend on riding it until i at least figure out the thing im missing on the front axle.I have a lot more questions has many harnesses are unpluged and stuffbut thats a later topic.Thanks in advance. -dan

Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Default RE: Just bought street fighter, need help! 01 f4i

daniel if the tank is not 100% full you could flip it upside down as much as you can and then disconnect the lines.that's what i did...

Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM

hmmmm is that the only option?. I mean i cant fully turn the tank upside down before taking off the lines, the hoses arent long enough. I hope i dont have to do it that way as i HATE when gas spills. Im sure there is a way though right? hopefully someone knows.

Anything about the wheel? I worry more about that currently. Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 PM

nobody knows? please help....

Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM

there is no other way to drain the gold out of your tank. (unless you syphin or ride untill it's out) just plug the overflow hose and tip the tank to the right of the bike, and that will give you enough room to disconnect the main hose. i didn't look at the cotter pin picture but just let someone ride it down the freeway and see if the wheel falls off on them, if it does... then you need to buy a cotter pin.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM

ok, all joking aside you have to undo that hose that "keeps pouring out" & the big line there. the big line has that banjo bolt on there... i think its a 12 or 13mm. the dirty bolt i am talking about is just above the word "pulled". o yea, and no it doesn't need a cotter pin! that hole is for a screwdriver to fit in so you can get a grip on the front axle so it is easier to pull out. hope that helps

Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 PM

You're doing it all wrong.
FIRST, siphon or somehow take as much of the gas out as possible.
2. You need to disconnect the whole fuel pump to get the tank off, or else i don't know why you would just want to take off the hose.
3. Make sure you have some towels or something to catch the gas falling out, what i did was just get a piece of aluminum foil and made a bowl shape out of it so it would catch into there.

And about the wheel yes something does look missing. Find an F4i manual and look it up, search this board.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks, i guess ill wait till the tank gets nearly empty, what a pain. The 07 R1 is sooooooo much easier. Oh well i guess its old technology. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Just buy a siphon, maybe like 5 bucks or less at walmart, and transfer it to another vehicle or into a bucket.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: daniel123588

Thanks, i guess ill wait till the tank gets nearly empty, what a pain. The 07 R1 is sooooooo much easier. Oh well i guess its old technology. Thanks again.
it's not the old technology, it's just because our bike doesn't need to take out the tank on daily basis, you know

Quick Reply: Just bought street fighter, need help! 01 f4i