F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just Asking-RPM'S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just Asking-RPM'S?

ORIGINAL: AnthonyTxL

ORIGINAL: ampfp

The alternator is on even at idling... On some badly designed/older bikes the voltage at battery increases when you rev the engine, but I've measured my F4i and even at idling the battery's being charged (>14V). And revving the bike doesnt change the battery voltage much i.e. it's regulated!
que?

On mine, her battery dies within a week if I rarely take her over 5k. hrmmm...[&o]
someone needs a new battery...

sometimes, i rarely go past 5k, i got an 01 with the original battery and it never died on me once yet.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM

it is a new battery [&o]

Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Your stator does have do spin up some to begin charging, usually about 2500 to 3k. You bike has a stator, not an alternator like a car so you are making more voltage the faster you spin the bike, which is why bikes have a regulator/rectifier which essentially turns excess voltage into heat. My 99 F4 had a weird failure of the R/R and it was charging like 22volts at high RPM. This fried the battery and actually melted wiring. Normally when the R/R fails your charing system dies.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: ddaren

honestly... i stay at around 5000rpm. I tend to baby my bike and keep the stress off the engine as much as possible.
you can cruise around at higher rpms than that if need be without putting much if any really,stress on the engine, thats not even half way to redline yet.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 PM

amen

Old 02-25-2007, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ddaren

honestly... i stay at around 5000rpm. I tend to baby my bike and keep the stress off the engine as much as possible.

But that's me. However, ALWAYS look at the driver's next to you. If it's an old person (old women especially), woman, woman on cell phones, and any driver that's sitting up straight 2 inches away from the steering wheel and driving with 2 hands... make sure you get away asap.

If hot girls are next to you, downshift, put ur RPM's to 7000 and just cruise along side them.

lol or put it to second gear and pop a wheelie =]

Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt if there's a big technology difference between car & bike - finally it's a magnetic field and coil moving relative to each other. The one that's stationary is the stator, the rotating part's the rotor, and the whole thing together is an alternator.
A well designed alternator, then, would put out enough voltage at the lowest rpm's the bike runs. Then as the voltage increases with rev, the regulator sinks the excess power.

If the bike needs to be run at high rpms (anything more than 2500), possibly there's excess voltage drop in the regulator... which might mean a regulator tending toward failure.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 AM

These bikes were built to be run hard and fast. I run around town anywhere from 6k- 9k. But I like to be heard when I go down the road. Loud pipes save lives.