CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Jacking bike up off the ground (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/jacking-bike-up-off-ground-155231/)

ShtBiker 11-17-2016 09:38 AM

Jacking bike up off the ground

Is it bad to jack the bike up from the exhaust headers? I don't see anywhere else I could jack it unless I remove the exhaust every time.

Jaybird180 11-17-2016 11:03 AM

Should be fine with stock exhaust. Use a block to spread out the pressure point on the headers. I've also use ratchet straps to support the bike from the ceiling. Just don't use your garage door rails - they're weaker than they look.

I'll try and get something back to you tonight on the other stuff we discussed.

Hawkwind2016 11-17-2016 11:50 AM

On my Hurricane, I can fit a bock of wood between the exhaust, so the sump takes the weight.

boredandstroked 11-17-2016 12:21 PM

Your not supposed to jack bikes, hence the lack of jack points. Use stands.

ShtBiker 11-17-2016 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180 (Post 1300128)
Should be fine with stock exhaust. Use a block to spread out the pressure point on the headers.

Great. That's what I had done so I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had a reason not to.

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1300131)
Your not supposed to jack bikes, hence the lack of jack points. Use stands.

But stands hold the bike up from the forks and swingarm. Stands won't do what I need if I want to take weight off either of those to do work the suspension.

Jaybird180 11-17-2016 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ShtBiker (Post 1300133)
Great. That's what I had done so I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had a reason not to.

But stands hold the bike up from the forks and swingarm. Stands won't do what I need if I want to take weight off either of those to do work the suspension.

If you've got a set of junk forks and extra shock, you can put those on temporarily. In your case, you have to take the weight completely off the front to get the upper and lower bridge undone from the frame. Make sure you use straps to help stabilize the bike in case of a tipover or pressure put somewhere when parts are being R&R'd.

ShtBiker 11-17-2016 03:09 PM

Yeah I had it on the rear stand and a block under the exhaust when i started messing with the front end. If I need to do work on the rear I'll probably try to use a front stand and a block in the middle.

Jaybird180 11-17-2016 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ShtBiker (Post 1300135)
Yeah I had it on the rear stand and a block under the exhaust when i started messing with the front end. If I need to do work on the rear I'll probably try to use a front stand and a block in the middle.

You got it boss! :icon_dance-twist:
Don't forget straps.

boredandstroked 11-18-2016 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShtBiker (Post 1300133)

For the front they make triple tree stands for this exact reason. For the rear I've always prefered lifting via the subframe and some straps.

Jaybird180 11-18-2016 11:54 AM

I used to have a full size wheel and tire from my 1993 Nissan Maxima that the bike fit perfectly into at the headers and lifted both ends; balanced pretty decently too. Lack of storage space and a desire to grow out of my bachelor stage prompted me to get rid of the wheel.