CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster not Working (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/instrument-cluster-not-working-93286/)

lleron 05-11-2009 09:28 AM

Instrument Cluster not Working

So I randomly went for a ride yesterday and when I turned on the key almost nothing on the instrument cluster was working. On the ride the day before, the cluster was working when I shut off the bike. However, when I started the bike yesterday the blinkers, high beam indicator, and neutral light all worked (but nothing else). Halfway through my ride, the neutral light stopped working also, but the blinkers and highbeam indicator still works.

I found it strange that the neutral light randomly stopped working, but some of the indicator lights still worked. This made me think that it's not a loose connector, but I'm still not sure. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas before I started tearing into the bike. Riding without a tach or speedo is not the best idea...

EDIT: I should also add that the clock and trip meter never worked properly. Every time I shut the bike off and turned it back on they would reset themselves. Not sure if that would have anything to do with this...

sleestak 05-11-2009 11:38 AM

Could be a lot of things. A short, a fuse issue, or a very weak battery can cause all kinds of electrical issues. Do you have a charger you can use to make sure it's not the battery?

lleron 05-11-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by sleestak (Post 783202)
Could be a lot of things. A short, a fuse issue, or a very weak battery can cause all kinds of electrical issues. Do you have a charger you can use to make sure it's not the battery?

Not readily accessible, but would a weak battery cause the cluster to not work while the bike is running? I didn't think that it would...

MARSF4i 05-11-2009 06:50 PM

Instrument Cluster not Working

Does your bike have flush mount signals? I just installed some the other day and my cluster fuse kept blowing. I would have the hi beam indicator and turn signal indicators but no speedo or tach. As it turned out I had some wires crossed up. If you have flush mounts its worth a look at the wiring.

ps-after correcting my flush mount problem, I now have no fuel injection at all. Any suggestions?

midnightsparks 05-12-2009 12:05 AM

i had a similar problem when u hit ur breaks does ur cluster come in if so check your fuses thats what mine was

mikebluep5 05-12-2009 06:21 PM

check the fuses. box should be under the seat (if you didnt know)

lleron 05-13-2009 11:15 PM

Thanks guys. I was going to check the fuses first when I get a chance.

lleron 05-20-2009 09:45 PM

Ok, so it is the fuse. However, it now keeps blowing right after I start the bike and start moving. It never used to do this before, and I've changed nothing in the last few months. Any ideas of any short to look for before I begin to tear the wiring apart?