CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Inaccurate speedometer?! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/inaccurate-speedometer-110721/)

ryan_ashby 05-16-2010 04:51 PM

Inaccurate speedometer?!

I just bought a 2001 F4i, the speedometer is fairly inaccurate, 60mph reads on the bike as about 72, when im on the interstate, 75mph reads about 93, so the faster I go the farther off it is, im assuming it doesnt have the stock tooth set as far as the sprockets and I did see it has a 525 chain, im assuming aftermarket gearing is the culprit. Does anyone know if anything other than the sprockets could cause this problem? Im going to count the teeth and if it isnt stock, how would I recalibrate the speedometer and how much do you think it will cost? Thanks everyone for you input.

Kuroshio 05-16-2010 04:55 PM

Can't think of anything else that'd cause a discrepancy. Not that large of a difference.

If the sprockets aren't stock you only have 2 choices: replace with stock gearing or get a speedohealer. You can't recalibrate it any other way. Also it means your mileage is greater too.

xtremef4i 05-16-2010 06:35 PM

Just get a SpeedoDRD from www.12oclocklabs.com. Its cheaper, easier to calibrate, and smaller than a speedohealer. Ive got one on my bike. Tell him Brad sent ya.

mnazary 05-17-2010 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by xtremef4i (Post 921830)
Just get a SpeedoDRD from www.12oclocklabs.com. Its cheaper, easier to calibrate, and smaller than a speedohealer. Ive got one on my bike. Tell him Brad sent ya.

Thanks for the tip man. $80 is a pretty good deal. You happy with it and how accurate is it?

xtremef4i 05-17-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by mnazary (Post 921950)
Thanks for the tip man. $80 is a pretty good deal. You happy with it and how accurate is it?

Im very pleased with it and I think it has a 3 year warranty too. the customer service and tech support is great. Once calibrated, I checked with my GPS and it is 100% dead on accurate. I had a speedo healer before and it was confusing how to calibrate and never was right. after switching to the SpeedoDRD, its much better. Good Luck!

ryan_ashby 05-17-2010 11:51 AM

Im kinda between getting something to recalibrate the speedometer or spend more to put a new stock sprockets and chain on it. The curent chain is only about half way worn thou. but then i would be good for another 8k or so

ryan_ashby 05-17-2010 12:22 PM

also, since I have only owned this bike for 2 days, how hard it the installation for a speedhealer or speedodrd, cause I dont really know my way around the bike yet.

xtremef4i 05-17-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_ashby (Post 922134)
also, since I have only owned this bike for 2 days, how hard it the installation for a speedhealer or speedodrd, cause I dont really know my way around the bike yet.

Even if you install stock gearing on the bike the speedo will still not be accurate. Most all bikes come fron the factory with around a 5% error. Here is a link for how to install the SpeedoDRD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikH6Shk3u44

chetman7 05-17-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by xtremef4i (Post 922007)
Im very pleased with it and I think it has a 3 year warranty too. the customer service and tech support is great. Once calibrated, I checked with my GPS and it is 100% dead on accurate. I had a speedo healer before and it was confusing how to calibrate and never was right. after switching to the SpeedoDRD, its much better. Good Luck!

lol..do u like work for this company or something?? of course if you set it up via GPA its going to be pretty accurate...same goes for speedohealer. And you say speedohealer was confusing to calibrate??? come on now...I would take actually number inputs rather than blinking lights that the DRD has. took me less than 5 minutes to calibrate my speedohealer.

R Dub 05-17-2010 08:27 PM

Yeah Speedohealer is not hard to calibrate at all just make sure you have a GPS to do it and it will be 100% accurate. Not putting down the SpeedoDRD, just saying you can't go wrong either way