F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I'm devastated... Bike down :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm devastated... Bike down :(

My idiot drunk friend decides as I ride by he is going to jump on my motorcycle... so he did. and all 3 of us went down on the right side. there is no emoticon to express my feeling but this is the closest I could find

so after standing her back up I notice a puddle underneath... its oil. and a broken bolt is on the ground. I have no idea where it came from but it has to be from the oil pan/ clutch/ tansmission... something that has oil because it all leaked out. luckily I was only 1/4 mile from home and I rode it home real quick. The fairing is scraped up also as expected and my brand new exhaust too.
I have it in my trailier right now ready to take to the dealer in the morning. but what should I expect price-wise from the dealer. I know I didnt give good enough info to determine an exact price because I dont even know what all it needs. but give me a ballpark estimate.

this really sucks because today was the first day after putting my new front tire on that I could ride.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM

all 3 of you? were you riding with a passenger or are you talking about the bike? anyway glad your ok, and really cant tell you any estimates because we dont know what parts are broken and dealers charge different prices in different areas..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM

i think my friends nose would be leaking if they did that to me, thats a damn stupid thing to do and really sucks for you man. But anyway If its leaking from a broken bolt or maybe your drain plug and nothings cracked or anything youll probably just be looking at the cost of an oil change plus a little more for a new bolt and some labor. Hopefully $1-200 to be mechanically sound. If you cracked your oil pan or engine cover or something else then itll start to go up but id suggest just buying a used one in good condition and bolting it back on yourself. As stupid and ridiculous of a way to go down as that is it doesnt sound like it should be too expensive to fix (besides the cosmetic stuff). Just hope nothing else got bent or broken. Did you have sliders? any other protection on the bike at least?

Lastly, your friend should hopefully be footing the bill for this anyway. Its just the extra days/weeks youre gonna have to wait before riding again that youll have to deal with.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM

by 3 of us I did mean the bike, me and friend.

and wherever the bolt came from it has a chunk of metal still attached to it. and yes he is paying for it, If it were anyone else, or my friend was sober, they would definately be in worse shape than my bike. but I felt bad because he just totaled his car last week, so he doesnt have a lot going for him right now.

also.. the dealer should have stock fairings right? it needs a right side. but it is almost a 10 year old bike. (03). do dealers carry stuff this old?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM

That really sucks. Glad he's paying for it. As for the bolt and the piece of metal attached to it, do you have a pic? And the fairing, yes Honda should have em in stock somewhere. Check here too...good link, with every OEM part, with part numbers and price...should be less than Honda:

LOWER COWL Honda CBR600F4I 2003 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

...grab the part number here and then compare with your dealer's pricing. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM

wow. My suggestion would be to choose your friends wisely. Sounds like this guy is gonna literally drag you down with him

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

OEM fairings from Honda are priced out of this world. I was quoted $600+ for a left side when I had my f4i. Your friend needs to quit making stupid decisions, drunk or not I would have slugged him. Im willing to guess your dealer quote is going to be $400+

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM

man that sucks, sorry to hear that. but my question is...what did you friend say he thought the outcome was gonna be? jump on it like a wild west movie and you both ride off in the moonlight? lol well hope its a easy fix for ya

Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First things first, take a $500 deposit from him. Or get a rough estimate and collect the money from your friend immediately when this issue is still hot. Don't let time go by too long because a friend can easily fade away in this type of situation. I know because I ha the same situation when a friend borrow bike and crash it...when time to collect, he avoid me.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ This. If he doesn't have the cash at first, get something of his that has worth that he'll want back.