F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

IDK if its my battery or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IDK if its my battery or not

On Saturday, I got back from fishing and took my bike for a short 5 mile ride or so. It started fine with no problem, come home and hit the kill switch and within 5 seconds I turn the key switch to off. Go up to my door, tell my wife to get her *** outside and we were going to go down my road and back (still not used to having a passenger/shes not used to riding) and we go to my bike (maybe MAYBE 3-4 minutes have passed) and I turn it on, headlights on, gauge comes up and starts counting down and I wait for the speedo to get to 0 mph and I try to start it but nothing. It had some fast clicking noise under the seat and I let go of the button and try it again and no click no nothing except when I held the button down the headlight would go off and when I let go of the button the headlight came back on.

Took it to my dads and put a charger up to it and it showed it needing a charge, charged it up and then tried starting it and boom it was fine.

Well today I drive it to work, go for a joy ride on lunch 4 hours later, and then park it and come back out to leave 4 hours later and the mother****er did the same thing minus any clicking, wouldn't even crank or anything. So my buddy pushed me off and it started right up, I let it run until the idle went down and another friend told me to turn it off and see if it would start back up. Turn it off and it cranked and started fine, and turned it off one more time and turned it back on no problem.

One crazy thing, probably 2 hours if that after I got done riding it on lunch, a co-worker outside smoking like 20 feet from my bike told me that my bike was making "noises" and she heard buzzing and ****. I thought the bitch was crazy until I went to leave and it wouldn't crank over.

I also parked it for ~20 minutes and went outside and it started up fine. I am going to see what my dad has to check the voltage and etc. but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before?

The bike did sit for a while not being used that often but I don't know how long it sat without being used for long periods of time but I'll find out if that matters.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Default RE: IDK if its my battery or not

sounds like it might be a regulator/rectifier problem, its pretty common for them to go on our bikes. I'm sure others will chime in

Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 PM

Maybe your battery doesnt hold the charge. I'd say get a new battery.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 PM

That is probably what we're going to try at first probably. Going to test the battery, my friend bought it probably a little over a year ago and when he was trying to sell the bike the dealership he had it at, the guy had to add some acid he said to it which for the age of the battery he said, he shouldn't have had to do it so it could be a possibility.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add acid? these aresealed batteries,maintanance free.If you have the manual it will show you how to test it under load.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM

I had the same problem with my bike. To check and see if the bike is charging the battery hook up a meter in DC volts to the battery. Then start the bike and rev it up to 5000 RPM. It should be less then 15.5V but more then 12. If your getting a good reading the battery is most likely not holding a charge.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Its wierd, this morning when I go to start the bike after it sat in the garage over night where it was pretty cold, it cranked it fine. Went over to my cousin's house and they have a battery tester and it didn't say to replace but it did show that it was low, and by putting it under load the battery died. Tried to start it and it did a slow crank and then stopped, and the cylanoid was making a clicking/popping sound. So I had to push start it, and then I rode it ~6-7 miles up to my wife's work to show her boss my bike, it sat for about 30 minutes and when I went to start it, I had to push start it again. I then went out to a curvy road and ended up driving probably 45-50 miles total including my trip home. Turned the ignition off and was like 'hey, lets see if it will crank it' and sure enough it did. So it couldn't be my stator could it since the battery is getting charged while I ride it?

Another possibility my friends said it could be, there could be a current going through the bike that could cause the battery to be drained, has anyone had this happen to them?

I'm finding out today if there is any sort of warrenty on the battery and if not I'll just replace it tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sp...y/sYTZ10S.html

anyone know if that would be a good battery?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery needs at least half hour of charging. so the 6mi trip wouldn't do it, but the 45 mi trip would. In any case, the battery might not be holding charge. Try a new battery or a gel battery if you can get one.
Now technically if the bike was doing something when turned off (buzzing like your smoker lady friend said), then that would drain any battery, even if new. Never heard that one before though [sm=alcoholic.gif]. Get a baby monitor and put it on your bike [sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM

LOL at the baby monitor. I am just going to stick with my initial thought on the lady that said it was making noises, she is crazy. Well, after rushing over to my dads to pull the battery out to get the number off of it to give it to the guy at autozone to see if they have it in stock, I go home to order that scorpion battery I posted a few posts up, only to see that they were out of stock. Call them and it's probably going to be 4-6 weeks.

I do not want to pay the $140 for the one at my local Honda shop (although I am having my buddy call to see how much he can get it through them since he gets his parts at cost) and AutoZone wants $180 and they'd have to special order it, so anyone recommend a battery that is currently in stock that has a good price if you could link it you will be my hero for the week!

Thanks a lot for all the help, I am slowly learning!