F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I sure you get them all the time, but is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sure you get them all the time, but is this a good deal?

I really am sorry for the newb question, but I have never owned a Honda before and need some input.
I am looking at a '02 CBR 600 F4i. It is red and black and is moded. It has 24,500 miles, a Leo Vince exhaust (it is dented form a low speed drop and also comes with a 2brothers slip on), full Racetech fork internals put in after the drop, PC 3, 600RR swing arm conversion w/ 1000RR shock, SS brake lines, new pads, newer Pilot Powers, newer DID 520 X-Ring chain conversion, new -1 front and +2 rear sprockets, NRC stator cover, and of course it has a smoked screen, frame and swing arm sliders, short stalk rear signals, fender eliminator, and flush mounts in the front. Nothing is ever perfect and there are always negatives. The swing arm has extensive scratching, medium sized dent on right side of the tank, general light scratching on the plastics, and worse of all, it has a dirty title. It was dropped and totaled by the insurance company.
He wants 4k for it. I am hesitant to every buy a branded bike, but he is the original owner and has all receipts, original insurance claim paperwork, police report with photos, and build photos so I feel a little better about it. NADA suggests a value between $2,950.00 and $3,880.00 assuming a clean title.
I generally shy away from modded bikes because you really don't know hard they have been ridden and if they were done right.
I know it sounds like I am trying to talk myself into it and then back out of it, but I tried to give it straight.
What would you give for it assuming you can forgive the dirty title.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get it.If I were you I would look at something else with a clean title.With the $4k that he's asking you can get a much better bike with a clean title.With the amount of damage that is on the bike I would not pay more than $1800 for it.IMO

Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM

yea i wouldnt pay anything over around 1800 for it...i paid 4200 for my mint 02...with less miles too

Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM

no more then 1800 here

Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
July 2008 ROTM

My bike has a salvage title, I've had it for three years and it runs better than ever. You guys are too fast to shun anything besides something mint and perfect. My bike has a SCRATCH on the frame, which gave it a salvage title. Big deal.

Some of the mods alone on that bike are worth almost $1500. For an original owner who has taken the time to keep all his records straight, that alone should be a positive sign to a well-maintained motorcycle.

I think $3-3.5k would be a suitable price.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM

I paid 3500 with 3800 miles on it in mint condition.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 PM

salvage title bikes dont sell for as much as clean title bikes. 4k sounds really high maybe 2000 since it has a salvage title

Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 PM

I have to agree with aken .... i usually do cause hes blunt and to the point. the bike can take abuse.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well +1 on the price, to much $$$. As for the mods, they have nothing to do with "how hard" its been ridden. I cant think of any mod that would indicate an abused bike. OK maybe the 12o'clock bar, or stunt cages. But just because the swinger was replaced or the signals doesnt mean sht when it comes to how much abuse it may have gone through. And the new tires, chain, and brakes will save you a good 5 hundo. Offer him 2Gs and negotiate from there. Plus when you buy it, you can sell me the extra can.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:03 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I think $2k would be an absolute steal for a bike like that. There are lots of factors to take into account when purchasing vehicles like this. Some of you may have gotten amazing deals because the person was very desperate to sell, or didn't know anything about bikes. Some of you may have gotten ripped off because you were on the desperate and unknowing end. Who knows.

Then there's the economic market in general, your local market (get an apartment in Kansas and then an apartment in NY - you get the idea), mods, history, yadda yadda.

In the end it's all going to come down to what you're comfortable paying anyway.

Quick Reply: I sure you get them all the time, but is this a good deal?