F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I was replacing my fuel pressure regulator when all of the sudden... (Not 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was replacing my fuel pressure regulator when all of the sudden... (Not 56k)

I realized, I can't unscrew the lower bolt to the FPR. The frame is in the way.

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  71.4 KB

OK, no problem. I'll just take off the Fuel pipe and the throttle bodies. I have to get em off anyway since I'm going to clean my temp. sensor and inspect the thermostat (bike is overheating. see my fan switch post).

Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  111.3 KB

Oh ****, this last bolt is stripped. I tried about 5 different 8mm wrenches (and socket wrenches) and I couldn't get the ****** to turn. Looks like it's about stripped... (circled)

Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  78.3 KB

Another look, it's the nut in the center of the picture

Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  99.1 KB

iv'e got all the other nuts off. WTF do i do now? GET IN MY BIKE FPR!

Name:  Picture006.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  107.4 KB

Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Default RE: I was replacing my fuel pressure regulator when all of the sudden... (Not 56k)

a GOOD wrench with get that loose..I personally only use snap on flank drive wrenchs.They are designed to get bolts like that off.They bite on the sides of the bolts not the edges like standard cheap wrenches do.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Default RE: I was replacing my fuel pressure regulator when all of the sudden... (Not 56k)

Hey Flyou, I found this online. If your not in a hurry or have a Sears near you this will more than likely work.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...id=00952166000

Good luck bro

Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pb blaster it...then use either an extrator tool like the one posted or get a smaller socket and hammer it on there. or you can even clean up the edges with a dremmel.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM

A socket wrench or a closed end wrench won't work. There's no space because the pipe is in the way. it looks like there's pleanty of space for a socket wrench to fit in there, but nope. that pretty much leaves an open end wrench as the only tool that can get it, but I can't get any grip with an open end wrench. fukking pain in the ***. i can't get this ****** off.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] + infinity

Old 11-07-2008, 11:22 PM

So I am guessing a vise grip is out of the question. How about drilling it out and getting a new bolt?
http://www.tvproducts4less.com/pro-g...tripped%20bolt

I don't know if that will work or not, just looking for some options for you bro.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 AM

vice grip may work although it's going to have to be pretty tiny. really not working with much room here... might have to get creative and drill or dremel like the man said. [&:]

Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 AM

Ease Out Tool.......Damn i love my set that i have. I broke a gas tank bolt on my old stunter. Head of bolt broke off just about 2 threads deep into the frame. Ease out tool workd wonders. Also a new Tap Set will work in case u strip chit out......woot!!!!...=-)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

A socket wrench or a closed end wrench won't work. There's no space because the pipe is in the way. it looks like there's pleanty of space for a socket wrench to fit in there, but nope. that pretty much leaves an open end wrench as the only tool that can get it, but I can't get any grip with an open end wrench. fukking pain in the ***. i can't get this ****** off.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] + infinity
hence the reason i recommended the flank drive wrenches from snap on..They bite on the flat spots not on the edge.
Flank Drive Plus wrenches feature a patented open end design that delivers up to 62% more turning power than conventional open end wrenches,i use these daily, hand have seen them take off bolts more rounded than the one you have in even tighter spots.

A small swival socket should be able to get on that bolt also..

Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Damn...I hope I don't have this much trouble with mine... I ordered a new one friday cuz the diaphram failed in it... Gonna put it on the end of next week... Maybe it'll go smoother, nothing else has... I've fouled two sets of iridium plugs figuring out thats what it was... Went to sync the throttle bodies and fuel started to pour out of the pressure regulator vacuum line...

Quick Reply: I was replacing my fuel pressure regulator when all of the sudden... (Not 56k)