F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I need some input guys, my baby died.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some input guys, my baby died.

So I went out riding today and it was unseasonably warm....80 degrees or so. I was riding through canyons with a couple guys from a group I ride with and we were going pretty hard through corners and I was running between 8-12K rpm. As I was coming out of the apex of one of my turns I twisted the throttle to power out of the corner and my bike just didn't respond. It held its speed and and RPM, but a twist of the throttle yielded a snail pace climb in RPMs and subsequently speed.

We hadn't been in the twisties very long, maybe 5 miles or so. I am not watching my speedo when i am doing that and at some point my check oil light came on. Dropped it into neutral and the engine died. I coasted it off to the side of the road where we could check it. The temperature reading sky rocketed to 240 degrees almost instantly and i could hear a knocking in the engine when I started it again. I looked in the oil window and it was EMPTY. I had changed the oil and filter maybe a week prior and hadn't noticed any leaking oil. The Oil pan bolt was dry and so was the filter, so I had no idea what was going on.

Another guy ran down the road and grabbed a few quarts of oil and came back. When we tilted the bike up to check the oil before we filled, it was FULL. I have no idea where the oil went, I assume the top of the engine. We put 1/4 of a quart in and tried to start it. It ran, but it was gutless, it had no power really. I got maybe a half mile and it started to stop responding so I stopped and shut it down.

We tried to start it again and it had nothing, the engine wouldn't turn, just the electrical click as it tried to. The battery had juice because the display and headlights were still working fine. One of the guys tried to jump the relay or something under the seat with a set of pliers and one of my gloves on. That yielded nothing, granted I don't exactly know what that does.

I have no idea what wen't wrong, I kind of think I seized the engine or something because when we tried to push start it, it just flat out locked and I skidded down the road on a set freshly broken in PP's.

Its sitting in the bed of my dads pickup atm, I don't want to try starting it and I have no idea where to start. I am going to take it to a mechanic and have it looked at sometime this week.

Any of you had this problem or know what may have gone wrong? I am stumped

Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you killed it.. over heated seized engine, this is what i think happend ,too much oil causing engine to lock up.,.try draining the oil and remove the oil filter and check the gasket and pure 3 qts and c if it turns over and how many miles are on the bike..