F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I need a quieter exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a quieter exhaust

I bought my 2006 F4i with a Delkevic Mini Carbon Fiber 8" (200mm) exhaust. The look and sound are great but I'm ready for something quieter.

I've recently moved into a more populated area and I leave for work very early in the morning. I'd like to not have every neighbor hate me for waking them up at 4am every morning. I'd also like to hear myself think while riding again.

The guy I bought my 2006 from had done the dual seat conversion from the banana seat. He also gave me all of the original parts. The original exhaust doesn't quite fit on snug. It seems the mounting lug welded on the original exhaust was positioned for the banana seat frame.

I've tried to do my best research on the sounds of different exhaust on youtube but all of the videos are usually comparing aftermarket exhaust to the stock exhaust. I rather not pay for a name brand exhaust like twobrothers or yoshimura. So I've been thinking about a danmoto JISU. From youtube vids, it sounds like the JISU is still throaty but not deafening like my delkevic.

Any thoughts or advice before I make a purchase?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try this first:
Delkevic Baffle FOR THE Mini Carbon AND OR Stainless Steel 8" Muffler Exhau | eBay

I have the 9" and I am looking at putting a baffle in to help with my 6am starts.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

AFAIK, mounting point of the exhaust is the same between the split seat and banana seat subframe.
If the OEM exhaust is not able to mount properly, aftermarket exhaust would likely have the same problem.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM

The mounting lug on the stock exhaust is welded to the exhaust. The aftermarket delkevic I have has a slip mount so it can move up or down on the exhaust. The JISU looks to also have a slip mount.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Hmmm I didn't realize they have a baffle for this exhaust. I was looking on delkevic's website to find it there and noticed on the description of the Mini Carbon 8" it says it comes with "db Killer - removable baffle". I'm going to look through my spare parts to see if the guy I bought my bike from took it out. I'm pretty sure that mine doesn't currently have a baffle in it now because it is loud as ****!

Do you know how much of a difference a baffle makes?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 PM

I have the 13'' Delkevic Tri-Oval. The difference between baffle and no baffle is MASSIVE. One is loud, the other is downright obnoxious. They dont list just the baffle on their website, but give 'em a call, maybe you can score one for a couple bucks.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The baffle won't make a huge difference, but it might be enough to get by. It will still be loud. Any 8" pipe is going to be loud as sin.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
The baffle won't make a huge difference, but it might be enough to get by. It will still be loud. Any 8" pipe is going to be loud as sin.
Thanks man. This is what I was thinking. I saw on that ebay link you provided a note that mentioned the baffle does not fit the earlier models that don't have the mount bolt hole on the inlet of the exhaust. I had a helluva day yesterday and completely spaced to look for that hole or my box of parts for a baffle.

If I do have that mount hole I'll definitely try the baffle first since it's much less than any new exhaust.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by singram
I have the 13'' Delkevic Tri-Oval. The difference between baffle and no baffle is MASSIVE. One is loud, the other is downright obnoxious. They dont list just the baffle on their website, but give 'em a call, maybe you can score one for a couple bucks.
"downright obnoxious" is the category I'd place my 8". It's ****ing **** on the highway cuz it gives me more of a presence. But on the other side, I'm pretty sure it wakes up at least 8-12 at 4am when I leave for work. In my old neighborhood, one/some neighbors associated the loudness with speed thinking that since its so loud I must be speeding through streets. Sure enough, about once a week, there would be a cop sitting somewhere in my neighborhood waiting for me specifically because of their complaints.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM

I'd say spend the least coin for a baffle for that Delkevic. If its still not to your liking, you can sell it complete with a baffle and buy whatever you want.

Quick Reply: I need a quieter exhaust