F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

i just purchased a 2001 f4i w/ 10,000miles for $400.00 the bike was dropped at 20mph, all damage was cosmetic, pegs, handles, etc. nothing major. the kid that owned is scared of it, all the plastics were damaged, i have just finished repairing all. now i am putting the bike together, this is my first bike, other than the kind you put in the dirt, needless to say i have a lot to learn. other then the obvious damage, the swing arm hit a curb and snapped. that is the only piece i haven't put back on yet. the problem i am having is, i turn the key, battery is fully charged and i have replaced the bank switch, and kickstand switch, nothing happens, when i hit the ignition switch, the head light dims, and nothing. i've checked all obvious fuses and all are fine. i don't want to play the chasing game, buying parts not needed. my brother in law had it turning over with a screwdriver, the only thing is this bike was sitting outside, under a tarp for about a year. i'm hoping for some suggestions, i am figuring a short or a bad ground? i don't know where the best place to start is, like i said i am new to all this, but not a dummy. i've gone through the bike, never know it was the same bike, i've checked all wires in the process, nothing bare, all connections look fine. sorry so long i wanted to be detailed, not looking to waste your time or mine. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Default RE: i need help

Try shorting straight to the starter. Get a cheap relay from radioshack, and jump it that way with the ignition turned on, see if that works.
If it does then you have a problem with your relay.
If not your starter could be toasted, or crank bent/ internal issues.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Your battery might be dead as well if you havent already replaced it.. another problem with the bike just sitting there is gas getting clogged in the lines... put some sea foam in your tank for sure

Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and turn the motor through with a T-handle from the clutch side (IIRC).
If the impact was hard enough to snap the s/a then something else may be amiss. I'm almost sure the frame needs alignment.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 AM

which type of relay am i looking/asking for at radio shack, and i noticed there are three relays for the starter, 2 are suspension relays $4.ea,at the tail, and the other is listed only as a starter relay $26.00, the bike wasn't damaged bad, with the plastics aside the bike is in excellent shape. so is it possible that the frame alignment will cause the bike to not respond? my brother in law had the bike in his yard and said he got the bike to turn over at the solenoid, so do i still need to turn it with a t-wrench? i appreciate all the help...i'm dieing to ride this thing, i have buried my head in it for the last few weeks, this is killing me.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably somethign stupid like the clutch cable being adjusted too low

Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 AM

ORIGINAL: JZHALES

probably somethign stupid like the clutch cable being adjusted too low
Isn't the starter wired so it will only start if the bike is in neutral or if the clutch is in (if its in gear)? I would check the wiring and trace it and make sure that none of the wires are broken.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 AM

i was just out there, i forgot to mention the fuel pump isn't turning on, the kill switch is working properly, im going to take your advice and chase the wires, everything looks good, i also noticed i am not getting any power to the bank switch, i dont know if that helps....thanks for everyones input, it is greatly appreciated. i have gone through this bike and plan on posting before and afters, i am very detailed and have done alot of work, i just hope i can get it running, thanks again

Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 AM

i'm gonna try adjusting the clutch also just for kicks.....thanks