F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I love my new power commander

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love my new power commander

What a difference has it made for my bike. I can actually feel the power that gives off. I hope my mileage doesnt decrease. Should it? What else can I expect from my power commander?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I love my new power commander

Did you get it mapped?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM

When I put one on my Harley it decreased the mileage but then after a while it went back up again. I dont know how. You are already down one in the front and depending on the size of your 2 Bros. can thats where your mpg variance will come from.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM

yes it is mapped. I do have the two brothers M5 exhaust. I hope my mileage doesnt decrease, or at least much.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 AM

The custom map is a HUGE benefit. I noticed smoother/improved throttle response over the entire power band.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM

your mileage will go down

a power commander alters the signal from your ECM to your injectors. it changes the period of time they are open, in order to get more power they allow them to be open longer thereby using more fuel.

what you can do is they make a switch you can mount on your bars to go between two maps. just set one of your maps as a 0 map so you'll be running at the stock settings. switch to it whenever you want gas mileage

Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM

but if you were running rich or lean before, youre bike will be much better now, which is more important. i didn't notice any drop in MPG when i got mine, but how aggressive i ride can make it change between 35-40.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM

My 600RR had a PCIII mapped and I didn't notice a big change in mileage at all.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bwayers

your mileage will go down

a power commander alters the signal from your ECM to your injectors. it changes the period of time they are open, in order to get more power they allow them to be open longer thereby using more fuel.
Problem with that logic is he has already altered the stock mechanical setupthat the computer was set for. If he's running too lean then the power commander adding fuel [which may only be bring it back to stock a/f ratios before the mods]can increase the mpg's. The engine isen't loosing any efficancy so it still takes [x] amount of fuel tomake the bike go [y] speed down the road. So even though your telling the injectors to add more fuel, that also means you make more power, which means you use less throttle to go the same speed hence the better milage or at least as good as before the mods.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM

from the factory all fuel injected sport bikes are designed to run lean up to between 6 and 8k rpms
this is done to keep the epa happy and give good mileage

a power programmer will not alter your mileage when you are riding at a steady throttle and maintaining a constant speed. bc you will be at a lower percentage of your available throttle.
it's when you are fairly heavy on the throttle in your mid-range rpms that you will notice a decrease in fuel efficiency. that is where the numbers on your map will give you the highest increase in fuel delivery compared to stock settings

atleast that's how it was described in the last dynojet seminar i attended
they claimed around 5% decrease in mileage under normal riding conditions (non-race)

Quick Reply: I love my new power commander