CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   I fell off my F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/i-fell-off-my-f4i-93546/)

eljrc16 05-15-2009 12:13 AM

I fell off my F4i

So I officially ate it thrusday morning getting to work about to park when I guess I hit the
front brake to hard and it just threw me off and made my bike just slide off I got a few scrapes good thing I was wearing my jacket but It was only about 20 to 25 miles per hour.
On the other hand my bike got a broken back brake lever, a few scratches not much on the fairing but good thing I only have them primered, and the piping that comes out of the motor leading to the exhaust got a dent as well.

So now I am still going to ride but I know how it feels to fall so just be more careful. Also I have a project now to do sand off and primer.

Anybody know how much a mechanic would charge me to change my back brake?

Aken 05-15-2009 12:26 AM

You could change the pedal yourself with simple tools.

eljrc16 05-15-2009 12:30 AM

Its not that hard Aken? what do I need just a wrench to take off the brake lever how much is a new brake lever?

Aken 05-15-2009 12:31 AM

New brake levers are pricey, like $50. Unless you get an aftermarket one on Ebay, which I personally wouldn't do but I haven't heard anything specifically bad about them.

And I don't know what tools exactly off hand, just go take a look.

Zero1080 05-15-2009 12:51 AM

Yeah, my buddy dropped his, going a little faster, more or less jumped off the thing, long story. But had to replace his whole handle, minus the plastic for the light switch. It was a simple off and on in about 15-20 minutes.

skoobydoobie 05-15-2009 08:49 AM

DIY, it doesn't get much easier than that. DIY Wait till you decide to change the plugs or the CCT. Both are pretty simple too, just a matter of removing some pieces (fairings and tank). DIY If you don't already have tools, then I suggest going to sears and investing 100 bucks or so on a good set of basic tools, socket set, screwdrivers, and maybe some open end wrenches $$ permitting. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the taiwanese junk sold at the local autoparts stores. Did I mention Do It Yourself.

midnightsparks 05-15-2009 09:22 AM

zero u gotta tell that story

mbison83 05-15-2009 10:20 AM

its pretty easy. i've changed both, my gear shift lever and the brake lever on my f4i.
all you need is parts, toold, and a bit of patience. i did it even tho i've never worked on bikes before. and i saved $100 doing that (quote from a mechanic). good luck.

Zero1080 05-15-2009 04:33 PM

Midnight, he was in traffic, and basically was coming up to a light, and stood up to fix his pants, you know what I'm talking about. And a car swerved into the lane in front of him. So he leaned to the side to try and get out of the way, and just went a little too far, all while standing, so he kinda just stepped off and stumbled. Thank god it was a red light though, otherwise he probably would have been hit. But the bike only had some scratches up the side, and a broken handle bar.

Jaybird180 05-15-2009 04:58 PM

Ocassionally you can find a new rear brake lever, but since they are often bent out of shape, used ones can be pricey. They're easy to remove, you only need a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the circlip.

I suggest you begin investing in tools. If you're going to be in this hobby any length of time, you will learn to work on your F4i, which is an easy machine to learn on.

PS- Get a service manual too. I have a Haynes book and .pdf Honda service manual and use both.