F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I changed my oil and then...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I changed my oil and then...

I noticed a slight rattle from the front of the bike when I would rev it up. It wont make the sound when I rev it really slow, but when I blip the throttle it will make a rattle for just a quick second then it goes away almost immediately. I used the 5w-30 Synthetic Rotella-T (blue jug) and the Supertech ST7317.

Also, I was tightening the oil filter back on and wasnt thinking about what I was doing...I had a plastic filter wrench and tightened it until the wrench wouldnt hold ...I tried to back it off and do it correctly but the wrench couldnt hold it enough to back it out...Is this a problem? I was thinking since the wrench I have was plastic, perhaps a metal filter wrench would hold it better and let me loosen it to the correct torque.

I also noticed that the bike idles at like 1200 RPMs as opposed to the 1500 I had it set on before. I believe the previous owner used the Honda oil, since he had a Honda filter on there. Would using the Rotella-T oil have anything to do with that?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the oil filter, just hand tighten it. It doesn't have to be the 35 lbs. torque the book specifies. As for the noise you're hearing, I'm wondering if that filter isn't too restrictive & putting strain on the oil pump.
The 10W-40 is thicker than the 5W-40 you put in.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM

So should I try and find a metal filter wrench...is there any other way to loosen the filter with out buying another wrench (that I wont ever use again if I just hand tighten it from now on)

Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM

I've always used my channel lock pliers for stubborn stuff, oil filters included, lol.

Edit: Since you already have it on there, I'd just leave it alone until next oil change.

Last edited by Incognito; 07-27-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM

You need to be running at least 5w-40, not 30. Also that could be your CCT making noise cause mine does the EXACT same thing your is doing. I have 16.5k miles tho. This has nothing to do with the oil filter.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Incognito:
I went down with the pliers and absolutely destroyed the filter trying to get it off...it was leaking all over the place because I had to clamp down so hard to get it off...damn that thing was on GOOD! I went back to WM and got another filter and put it on, hand tight this time. The sound is still there...at least I know the filter is on right tho. I ran the bike a little bit in my garage and will check the oil level tomorrow...not much came out from the old filter, I may have to replace .3 qt at the most.

Don F4i:
I misspelled...It is 5w-40. Its the blue jug Rotella that everyone one here recommends.

Why would it start right after I changed the oil tho if it is the CCT. I have had a very quiet vibration noise at 5k RPM since I bought the bike this spring. But I have never had the noise at the bottom end until right after the oil change... weird.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Edit: Since you already have it on there, I'd just leave it alone until next oil change.
I went and did it before I saw your edit...lol

Plus, if it was putting extra stress on the oil pump I wanted that fixed.

I also learned that the extra minute to remove the right fairing is WELL worth it.

Learning as I go.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM

While we are on the subject of oil changes...can I change JUST my filter at 3000 miles and get another 3k out of the oil (6000 miles total for the oil)?

This is kind of a silly question since an oil change is pretty cheap to do yourself...I am just curious.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM

No big deal, at least you're using Supertechs which are cheap. Guess I forgot to mention the pliers mangle the thin walled filters. I'm going to agree with DonF4i, more than likely it's not the oil pump. You know, my bike makes strange noises sometimes. If you sit there with the engine running intently listening to it, you're bound to find something that sounds weird. But is one supposed to tear the thing apart in an attempt to find "that" ticking sound? Give it a couple of days; it'll go away, lol.
There was one fella here who heard a ticking sound which over time, progressively got worse. He took the valve cover off to check the valves, and discovered that one of his cam journals (no.1 cylinder) wasn't receiving any oil, thus it scored the aluminum pretty badly. Ended up having to replace the entire head. Not to make you paranoid or anything, but...

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol
While we are on the subject of oil changes...can I change JUST my filter at 3000 miles and get another 3k out of the oil (6000 miles total for the oil)?

This is kind of a silly question since an oil change is pretty cheap to do yourself...I am just curious.
Seems that after all the mess you'll make over spilled oil (just changing the filter), you'll be adding oil anyway.

Change the oil first and have less mess.

(Speaking from a guy that changed his oil, but couldn't torque the filter off, so he's 500 mile in with new oil but an old filter...) New question: Now, can I get away with THAT?

Quick Reply: I changed my oil and then...