F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I bought an f4i I'm looking to start modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought an f4i I'm looking to start modding

The bike is a 2002 F4i. 20K on the clock.
Mods
3inch lower
High mount M4 exhuast
I will be replacing the filter with a KandN.
I want to run mid to high tens with this bike and i think that is very doable with normal mods.
I would like to do a 520 conversion but dont no much about the sprockets 2 down in front 1 up in back sound about normal? Also how much would that combo mess with the speedo, rev, ect...? Also what is stock gearing? Any other mods or suggestions? I want some more umph.

Any help is welcomed..pics soon!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Default RE: I bought an f4i and am looking to start modding

Are you planning on making it a dedicated straight line bike? Some of the mods you have listed don't seem to go hand-in-hand with each other is why I ask.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 AM

The stock gearing is a 16/46, with a D.I.D. 525 chain. The 520 is lighter weight than a 525.The K & N Filter will last longer than a standard filter, but for more power, some have said they noticed no difference. A 15/46 520 conversion will change your speedmeter. It is close to accurate in 6th gear around 60 mph only off a 2 - 3 mph. A speedohealer will fix that problem for around 100 bucks. The stock bike will run mid 10's according to Sportbike magazine, the numbers were ran by their pros. Lowering the bike will only give you the advantage of having your feet touch the ground more firmly, also taking corners and 3" down you are bound to scrape your fairings. Good luck, I recommend doing one mod at a time. See what you like the best, and what works. But IMO, 3" is alot to go down, how tall are you?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stephens
3" down you are bound to scrape your fairings. Good luck, I recommend doing one mod at a time. See what you like the best, and what works. But IMO, 3" is alot to go down, how tall are you?
An F4i only has 5.3" of clearance to start. That seems like a lot to me as well. Just keep her pointed straight. Welcome to the site.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 AM

No its not just a drag bike. I just want a faster street bike. I'm 5'7 so the drop fits me well. So just going down one in the front will do what i'm looking for?

Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 AM

Lowering the bike IMO won't give you much increase for performance. There is the Power commander that can modify your fuel air intake. There are alot of guys who have done that. A full systemaftermarket exhaust can increase your performance, and changing your sprocket and chain will increase your low end torque.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:00 AM

Sorry, that's what I was trying to get at, if you drop the bike that much you won't have much lean angle before you start dragging hard parts. If you can tiptoe it, or safely one foot it you should be fine, honestly I don't think that lowering it is worth what you lose.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:55 AM

no lower, bike sucks after!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 AM

for 5'7... 3" drop is a bit too much. I'm 5'9 and I can flat foot easy... but I wouldn't mind if I could tip-toe it. Before modding anything, i say first thing to do is raise it back up. all that speed that you want won't matter if you only can go like 30mph max on turns.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 AM

I am 5'7 and I almost lowered my F4i. after riding for a couple of months, I decided there was absolutely no good reason to lower it.
I can tip toe each foot, and if I want more I just barely slip a cheek off center and I can flat-foot. the bike is still perfectly vertical.
If you want it for looks, as maybeyou just ride city, then do it if you want. but you will lose the highly engineered geometry of the bike. the bikes height, rake, trail, etc is
exactly where it is at on purpose. for purpose of performance.

for a sprocket change, mine is -1 in the front, +2 in the back. I love it

Quick Reply: I bought an f4i I'm looking to start modding