CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Howdy... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/howdy-102651/)

cheapbastard 10-28-2009 10:04 AM

Howdy...

I'm a new member here, but definitely not new to CBR's. My 1st bike was a 93 CBR F2, followed by a 96 CBR 900, then a nasty 99 R1 got in the way, followed up by a 01 CBR F4i, then an 02 R1 had to but it's way back in, but my current streetbike is a 05 Triumph Speed Triple. :)

Well, why am I here you may ask yourselves. I just picked me up another 01 CBR f4i as a track bike, but it's gonna need a little work. First off, I'm gonna need a cylinder head, or someone wise enough to tell me how to fix a stripped spark plug cylinder hole. I've thought about heli-coil, but will that really suffice for this? At any rate, you fellers take it ez on me, I'ze r noob to the intrawebz. :icon_playing:

So if any of ya know of a good deal on a cylinder head in good shape, let a brudda know. Also would be interested in complete motor if the price was right and was within a decent driving distance. Btw, I hail from King, NC, but that's pronounced Kaaaaaaaaaaaaang. Thank ya very much. :icon_couchhide:

Seafordguy 10-28-2009 11:24 AM

I have friends who have helicoiled big marine engines - it will suffice on these little things. An all new engine can be had for 500 bucks or so.

I am considering moving bikes over the winter and would love to hear your feedback on your Yamaha experience - specifically reliability. I currently have an 01 f4i so any comparison to that on driveability/comfort/reliability would be appreciated.

Eric

Joey_f4i 10-28-2009 11:38 AM

I recently had to heli-coil a stripped spark-plug head due to the moronic previous owner over tightening it.

I was cruising home from work and a 1/2 mile from home, the engine spit one of the plugs out, and had to drive her the rest of the way on 3 cylinders.

To say the least, my options were what you are faced with now.
And I opted for the heli-coil.
Also, since I was not sure if the ass-hat previous owner had done the same to the rest of the plugs, i had them all heli-coiled.

A really good pal of mine, and motorbike mechanic for 9 years now, made me feel at ease when he explained that some machine equipment had to be re-coiled due to the poor quality in threads deemed so by the government.

Heli-coils actually strenghten the thread.
From what I was explained, most threads carry all the pressure/weight of the bolt on the first or second thread.
A heli-coil distributes that pressure evenly through the threads, creating a better stronger bolt seal.

It's been round 4 or 5 months now, and she runs just fine, have not have any problems at all.
A bud of mine has even taken her to the local strip and had her down the lane 3 times. No engine problems.

skoobydoobie 10-28-2009 01:58 PM

We use heli coils all the time at work, if it can withstand the pressures of 300 ton stamping press then the little bit of pressure caused by combustion wont affect it. Just make sure you use the proper drill bit and tap (you'll need a special tap that usually comes in the kit). Or I just saw a complete head on ebay with no bids starting at 50 bucks, but who knows what probs that one has. Good luck.