F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How well does a Cage and Sliders work

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well does a Cage and Sliders work

Hi how is everyone doing im about 1500 miles in on my f4i this is my first bike so I apologize for the newbie questions. But I was wondering how much will frame sliders and or a cage really benefit-help your bike if you were to go down. Is it essentially just protecting the frame and engine or will it protect the fairings and everything else as well?. Again sorry for the newb questions I just dont wanna waste money on something that wont be beneficial.
Thanks
Stephen

Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Default RE: How well does a Cage and Sliders work

My friend put a cage on his 600 gsxr and he flipped it the other day doing a standup. No damage to the bike but a broken mirror. Other than that, looks the same as it did the last time I saw it before he wrecked.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 PM

Cooool thanks alot I appreciate it. One more thing anyone have recommendations as far as to what company and maybe websites to purchase the cages and sliders? I've found the sliders easily but dont know if sliders and cage are all bassically the same or if some are better then others thanks again
Stephen

Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 PM

Something to remember:

Crash cages are designed for low speed drops.

If you are not a stunter then a cage is a bad choice for a few reasons:
1. Weight. They arent light.
2. Ground clearance. Cages are not designed for twisties and can CAUSE a crash if they ground out.
3. The can act as a lever and cause frame damage in high speed crashes.

If you don't stunt stick to frame and bar sliders. There is a reason that race teams don't run cages.

Frame sliders rock. But nothing is going to keep the bike alive after a high speed getoff (except luck).

If you want to "crash proof" your bike:
1. Frame Sliders. Real sliders that mount to the engine bolts NOT the little "no cut" sliders.
2. Bar sliders (or clip-ons).
3. Heavy duty left case cover (bust a case cover and your motor can get totaled).
4. Aftermarket Rearsets with breakaway pegs and controls.
5. "Shorty" levers or "notched" stock levers so they break away clean and leave enough to still use.
6. Short or removed mirrors.

This will help minimize damage to your bike. If somewhere along the way you damage your OEM bodywork, replace it with fiberglass street bodywork. It looks the same once it's painted, but it will take one hell of a hit and flex like rubbermaid.

Basically look at your bike and think about anything that will catch and make sure it can break off clean. Bikes can slide pretty well, but when they flip it's all over.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 AM

Yeah ^ he's right. I won't attempt balance point wheelies until I get a cage. For regular riding I wouldn't rec. a cage. My boy's bike has a cage on it but he's all about stunting it.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 AM

Yeah well thats the thing I do wanna stunt it but like I said I'm a brand new rider only 1500 miles under my belt so I figured before I try anything at all i better be able to protect my bike as much as possible. Im not trying to start doing anything quickly and I've tried taking my time beginning to ride as far as not pushing my limits or anything so assuming my goal is to stunt my bike I guess a cage, frame sliders and bar sliders are the way to go. If yall can think of any other words of advice I'd love to hear em.
Thanks
Stephen[8D]

Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 AM

cages are for stunters, if thats what you want to do get a cage otherwise frame sliders are the way to go
cages are great for slow crashes or impacts but if the bike slides on its side especially at high speed the cage can easily cause the bike to "bounce" while sliders grind down and keep the bike on its side

ORIGINAL: steelXskin

If yall can think of any other words of advice I'd love to hear em.
Thanks
Stephen[8D]

my advice: screw stunting, do a trackday
more fun without all the squidly side effects haha

Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 AM

just make sure you dont get the no-cut frame sliders i did cuz i didnt want to cut holes in the sides of my new fairings i went down in a turn only going like 10-15 mph and it just broke off it did take the initial hit but other than that nada

Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM

First off, if you get a cage you won't need frame sliders. 2nd if you are going to stunt you need to wait a little and get used to the whole riding thing before you need to start rocking some wheelies. If I were you I would get some POWERS RAILZ, basically the same thing as a slider but its stronger and will protect the bike more. Just my .02 and about the trackday thats cool if its your thing, but it doesn't cost me anything to ride on backroads that are almost as good as some of the tracks that I have seen

Heres a pic of the railz on a 600RR

But if you want to get a cage check out SICK INNOVATIONS and talk to Ian, when I get some cash I'm getting a cage from him. He has the best customer service that I have ever had in my life and I haven't even bought anything from him yet. Pretty cool guy, so check his cages out

Heres a pic of his cages for the F4i, and I have heard you can drop your bike off of a house and not hurt it with his cage

-Jesse-

Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Wow!

That F4i cage is NICE.

To steelXskin:

1500 miles and a new rider means you really shouldn't even be thinking about stunting right now. That's likely to get you hurt bad. You still don't have a real feel for how the bike handles.

Make sure you wear your gear and take the MSF course if you havent already.

Respect that F4i. It may "only" be a 600, but they are amazinly powerful machines and they will kill you if you dont know what you are doing.

Quick Reply: How well does a Cage and Sliders work